DiamondGoby- Sand everywhere!

batman1820

I got a diamond goby recently, and it's been doing great, sand sifting and everything. It has kept my sand sparkling white, but all that sand sifting is getting my water cloudy. Should I just keep gravel vaccing the sand until it has no debris left, or is there another way? I'd hate to give it up since it's a great help. Thanks in advance

kogle

MIne did this for awhile but it seemed to get less cloudy over time.
Sadly he ended up being a jumper...

symon

It does get better! Mine was tearing up my tank nonstop! The cloudiness has dropped and everything looks so nice! And yes the are tile surfers! Get some egg crate for the top of your tank!

seannmelly

We have a diamond goby and he does an awesome job. At first when our sand was newer w/ some dust still in it the tank got a little dusty but not too bad. But he's gotten all the dust out and keeps the sand clean. He also eat mysis shrimp and just about everything else i feed the other fish. He has a few burrows around then tank, I hope he doesnt jump out b/c the stupid lmb chases him sometimes. He's awesome to watch!
melly

tank watch

i saw a big goby once at a lfs. it must have been 10 or 12 inches and solid black. I guess their color turns as they age.it was in a 400 gal

oxbeard

We got a sleeper gold head goby 3 or 4 weeks ago and ended up with an instant "snowstorm". Water has finally started to begin clearing up over the last few days. Hopefully, this trend will continue.

murph145

yup mine made a mess at first too but now the sand is cleaner than ever and no more stuff in the water

chefben

Is the Diamond goby the best at keeping the sand clean? I have black sand and the detritis and rock rubble is getting out of hand. What can I do?
-ben

batman1820

I would say most sand sifting gobies are similar as far as effectiveness. If you want clean sand, you will not be dissapointed with the diamond goby though. It's just the stupid sand storm it starts up. They're tough too. My tang got ich and the whole tank got heavily infected with it, but the goby was fine.

froznfinn

i enjoy my diamond goby..he never stops and when he does he 's in his cave..the only problem with him is that he rearranges my rock..

zeroc

I have a Dragon Goby (there must be another common name but i don't know what it is, I saw Dragon at two LFS but not online anywhere) and I really like him. He's not really a stay on the bottom goby. He swims at all levels of the tank but does it out of the same. Only problem, he takes a mouth full of sand a then swims and get sand all over the place, so you have to sweep off the LR all the time, but it's still cool. I'm also looking to get a couple Yellowheaded Jawfish, anyone have these? I love watching them in the store.
ZC

darknes

My sand never really got cloudy from my goby. He just liked to build huge mountains of sand, so that I had to keep knocking them down.
It was an awesome fish until he decided to jump out.
I plan to get another one once I get my top secured.

chefben

Ok well I picked up a really cool yellow watchman goby today. He is just sitting there. When will he get to work. He's on the clock!!!

zeroc

I think it's a crap shoot on if they're gonna dig or not, my Dragon Goby digs once in awhile but usually stops before it makes anything substancial.
ZC