diatom filter

anaconda22

I've got a fairly new 55gal tank with a wet/dry and a new protein skimmer. I've been checking my water regularly and everything seems fine. The only thing i'm upset about is that my tank always looks dirty. There's sand and other particles clouded in the water, and i heard that a diatom filter should clear it up. Is that the right thing to do, or is there a better method? Also, do I need any other type of filtration?

jdm_ae86

youre right, the cloudiness is really small particles of sand you put in..but after awhile bacteria will coat them and sink to the bottom, but, if you cant wait, the diatom filter will work.
what do you plan on making your 55?, reef?, FOWLR?, FO?
i always like to suggest that people take out the bioballs if planning on making a reef tank, or leaving it in if making a FO or FOWLR tank..why?, because wet/dry filters can process wastes fast, which is very good for fish only tanks..but the only downside is nitrate buildup. make sure you have a means of nitrate exportation, a live, deep sand bed, plenty of live rock, or denitrator filters.

anaconda22

Thanks for the info. Right now my tank is a FOWLR. I have live sand and rock, but I am planning on getting more live rocks and big lights so I can eventually build up a reef.
From what you said, how much live rock would i need to keep my nitrates down?

jdm_ae86

live rock helps to a degree, but a deep, live sand bed is what really helps..about 3" and up of oolitic sand is what you should go.

S

shouse

Somewhat off-topic question but i don't see many posts about diatom filters anywayz...
Thinking of going "barebottem" concept but still having around 1/2 in of sand. Some people just choose to use a simple gravel siphon tube to suck the detritus off teh gravel. Would using the Diatom filter to clean teh gravel be easier and more efficient? thanks

acrylic51

Originally posted by JDM_AE86
live rock helps to a degree, but a deep, live sand bed is what really helps..about 3" and up of oolitic sand is what you should go.

The myth or misconception of a DSB being need to properly run a tank is wrong!!!!! Do some research on that area... Diatom filters aren't need on a tank... They can be dangerous if handled wrong to your tank inhabitants