Did I get a good deal??? Pic!!!!

hopkins6

I bought this 75 gallon tank today at my LFS for about $500 w/ tax. The glass tank was $190, the oak stand was $170 (18X48X30), and the oak canopy was $130. Also included was a 48" flourescent light fixture (which i'm not going to use, but may turn it into a light for my dawn/dusk effect). The LFS also gave us $20 for LR or fish becuase we are "consistant customers". Thanks

I

italianwjt

you could have went to pets-mart and got that same exact setup only 150g for the same price...

funkyman

I think the lack of responses is because no one wants to tell you the price was a little inflated. There is a large local marine store here that often has setups like the one you have for $275. It's a nice setup though, and as long as you'll be getting enjoyment out of it, that's all that matters. Some things in life aren't all about money.

oceana

yes in my opinion you kind of got screwed. not to bad but still over priced.
the two problems i see is one its not even drilled. and two it's a generic tank.
i guess depending on where you are at that price might be great but since you already purchased it i guess its kinda late to be asking.
you say somthing about a canopy but i dont see one in the pic???? are you saying 130 bucks for a galss lid?? if so you should go punch them in the mouth!!
all is said and done now so I would not worry about it to much
gl setting up your new tank

shoimen

Ya those prices are a bit high. The tank for $190 is not bad. Mine was $180, but that is including the Megaflow overflow....I dont see one on yours. =(
IMO, the tank stands are just outrageous!! and they dont even look that great! I made my own for less than $100 and it looks great!!!
And I sure hope you did not pay $130 for a glass tank cover...mine was $50. A wood canopy may be worth it, but still kinda high pricing.
But, it is no matter, as long as you like the tank!!! It looks good!

hopkins6

The glass top came withe the canopy, it was a package and i had to get it. I am having hang on equipment so i do not need to get the tank drilled.

hopkins6

I will post pics of my tank in progress later on. Thanks, I just hoped the extra money I spent will be worth it.

rubberduck

here in ky it is a fairly good deal. so i would say if u have a good tank with no leaks and well made. i would say u got a good deal

hopkins6

Thanks. I just called petsmart and a 75 gallon tank from them would be $190 and a stand would be $140. They said they don't sell canopys. So if I did get ripped off it was only by about $40 or so. And also this LFS where I bought my tank is the only LFS store that sells SWF and supplies, the next place would be about a 30 minute drive. So i gotta keep them in business.

hopkins6

Unless its just the state of NC or the petsmart we have hear, I don't know how the hell you would get a 150 gallon tank, canopy and stand for the same price.

tthemadd1

Find a wholesaler for you live rock. If not you are going to get screwed on the price. I use a good one out in Ohio, tonga is usually about 4.oo/pd. Fully cured for three months. I have to drive about an hour to get there but well worth the drive. Dont get screwed paying $10 a pound. Not to mention that hand picking live rock can be beneficial, I got a 10 pd live rock covered with zooanthid for $50.00 and another with a bubble tip anenome for around $45.00( around 10 pds as well)

I

italianwjt

yah, its their own brand "top fin". the reason i say this is i bought a similar one (stand identical) and when i set it up it didn't look good in my house so i took it back and found a deal in the paper which is the one i have now. But, just as long as your happy with it thats all that matters. gl.

monalisa

Just be happy with your purchase!!! I think it's a beautiful set up, and can't wait to see it further down the line when it's teaming with critters.

Have fun!!
Lisa :happyfish

hopkins6

thanks for the advice, its really helped me feel better. My dad really likes that oak wall room (where the tank is) so i think he was happy when he saw the oak tank. I am happy with it and cant wait to get corals, and fish, i cant even wait till i put water in it.

hopkins6

I'm ordering my filter and stuff tonight. i'm gonna wait a while and save up for a skimmer and my high powered coral lighting. thanks everyone. i'm only 14 so i don't have that much money, though my mom helps me pay for some