Did something take a bite out of my hippo??

milomlo

Ok I have had this tiny guy for almost a week. Doing great. NO signs of stress or anything at all.
Now sometimes he gets to close to my clown in her anemone (he does like to hang there w/ her for some reason) and sometimes she nips....not usually hard at him. But I just came home and saw this on his side.
Not sure if it is from her or if he rubbed a rock to hard or what.
I do have a 10 gallon QT that is in use right now treating a NEW Coral Beauty. The Coral Beauty is in hypo as I think he has ich. But the spots are disappearing.
Now do I put the hippo in there w/ him and treat w/ melafix or something or what? I also have a 29 gallon that I can set up but I don't want to have 2 QT tanks going.
IDEAS?? Anyone know what this is on him? He is very active and has been eating fine.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sure does look like a wound, but can't say that the nips of a little clown could cause that much damage.
What else do you have in your tank?

milomlo

I have a tailspot blenny, 3 chromis, firefish, 2 clowns, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 serpent star, 1 BTA, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, hermits, snails
I guess I should also say that this hippo is about 1 1/2 inches in size.

milomlo

Anyone?? Can anyone tell me what I should do? I did just feed w/fresh garlic and some VitaChem. He is eating great. Very active

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps the blenny.
Anyway, you already have a fish in the Qt, so moving this one there does not seem a viable option. Is this fish eating? Breathing hard?

unleashed

i would treat him with melafix to help speed up the healing proccess and to avoid a secondary infection. just remove the carbons if your using them and turn off the skimmer and treat the whole tank.I trust this product enough that when i acclimate new fish to my main tank i melafix it each time.150 fully stocked reef.amung all my other tanks total of 7
unfortunely there is no garentee that this is a bite wound fish that small are very difficult to keep alive as it is.

milomlo

Originally Posted by unleashed
i would treat him with melafix to help speed up the healing proccess and to avoid a secondary infection. just remove the carbons if your using them and turn off the skimmer and treat the whole tank.I trust this product enough that when i acclimate new fish to my main tank i melafix it each time.150 fully stocked reef.amung all my other tanks total of 7
unfortunely there is no garentee that this is a bite wound fish that small are very difficult to keep alive as it is.

So seriously put this in my REEF? With my starfish and other inverts? :notsure:

unleashed

Originally Posted by milomlo
So seriously put this in my REEF? With my starfish and other inverts? :notsure:
yep its reef safe. the corals and anenomes may show a bit of dislike but even that goes away after a little while..last week i added a sting ray and a coral beauty to my reef and dosed it with melafix for 3 days(cb had popeye) this is the tank i dosed recently

milomlo

OK = questions
1. Do you have inverts?
2. Have you had any ill effects at all? Any deaths?
3. I just read some threads where folks were saying as soon as the poured it in the water their snails fell to the sand and fish as well. Within 30 minutes all were dead.
4. Does it drop your PH or ALK or anything?

milomlo

Anyone else suggest this? :thinking:
Has anyone else used Melafix in their display REEF tank? Would like to hear all stories please.

unleashed

Originally Posted by milomlo
OK = questions
1. Do you have inverts?
2. Have you had any ill effects at all? Any deaths?
3. I just read some threads where folks were saying as soon as the poured it in the water their snails fell to the sand and fish as well. Within 30 minutes all were dead.
4. Does it drop your PH or ALK or anything?
corals are condisered inverts to a point plus yes i have snails crabs anenome ect no it does not effect the parimeters of the water.what it does do is foam up your skimmer for a few minutes i turn mine off during treatment.i have been using this product for 5 yrs with good results.i use this each time i introduce a new fish to my tanks.