Different Clownfish Together?

kellenr

So I know more than well about the facts of not joining multiple clowns from different species. But has anyone done it successfully and which pairs are best suited for the least chance of aggression towards each other?
I'm sure some people have tried it and I believe it's probably just a coin-toss but please share. I have 2 Ocellaris and am going to switch them out for 2 True Perc's and wanted to 'see' if maybe I could try something else in there, ...maybe a maroon?
Thanks for your honest opinions to this touchy question!

jints

I have seen different clowns together. The basic clown and a black one. I dont know if they were together in the same tank when they were young but I did see them in someones tank and Ive seen pictures of people here with the same. It can be done but IMO they have to be very young clowns.

mr_x

i've always been told it's not possible unless you have a large tank, and even then, clowns are in the damsel family- they are fish with attitude. i think they will kill each other.

heatheryjoy

I have a regular false perc and a black and white false perc together. They get along great. I added the black clown last and she is a bit larger. Don't know if that made a difference. I don't know about adding a perc with say a tomato or a maroon. Might be trouble there.

depends. how big is your tank and what else is in there. if its fairly large and there isnt much else in it, it might work, but in general its not a good idea.

n8ball2013

we have a small sebae and a small misbar occellaris in our 37 together. they get along fine occasionally chase each other but dont nip fins or anything. alot of times they swim together. The occelaris was established long before the sebae but we used one of those breeder nets to acclimate them to each other for a couple weeks.

perfectdark

Different species of anemone fish stake claim to different size territories. EG. True percs seem to claim the smallest amount of real estate in comparison to the other species of anemone fish. Ocellaris have a slightly larger area that they guard but still on the small side, 18"x18" or so. The more aggressive the species it seems the more space they claim. Aggressive Maroons can dominate 40 gal tanks and leave no space for another type of anemone fish. Not mixing species, is a guideline to follow so these territorial disputes dont reak havoc to your tank. However there are many scenarios where these rules have been broken and things seem to be ok. Ocellaris and Perculas do have quite a bit of success, and are now even bred together. But I doubt seriously you will find a maroon clown and an ocellaris to co-exist in a tank smaller than a 55, long term. JMO.

paintballer768

The reason why they say large tanks you might be able to, is so the different clowns could have their own terrortory. Im not sure but Ive never heard of even an estimate of how big this is. Sometimes false percs/true percs/B&W percs will become mated pairs with the other. Its happened, but I dont know how frequent. I would be very careful about adding other species of clowns together, but if you want a few of them, I would go on the hunt for a mated pair. Thats the only way they wont annihilate each other.

kellenr

I'm not sure if I'm going to try 2 different species or not yet, it was just an idea. After I get the 2 True Perc's I'll decide. I'll no longer have the 2 Ocellaris, FYI. Thanks.