Disbar Anthias Feeding

jon321

I know anthias are generally considered difficult fish to keep, but my LFS had a buy 1 get 1 free deal so I thought Id give it a shot. Anyways, the anthias is swimming nicely near the from glass, mid water and seems to be doing good, but ANY movement around the tank and it darts for cover. I highly doubt its getting much if anything to eat. Ive been feeding 3 times a day with generic flakes, formula 2 flakes, brine, mysis, etc. Its been over a week and it still looks "full bodied" and I "think" its eating, but it still hides when I go to the tank and Ive never actually seen it take anything. Anyone have any tips? Or success stories?
Jon

lion_crazz

With anthias, I usually try gut-loaded and garlic-covered live brine shrimp with them because they will stay in the water column longer, and not sink to the bottom like other food will. What I normally do is enhance the brine with some vitamins (Zoe, Selcon, VitaChem), dose a few drops of garlic on them, feed the tank as you normally would, and walk away for a few minutes. This will allow the anthias to come out and eat and not feel very frightened. After a while, it may start picking at the frozen and flake and it will get used to you because it will realize that you are the one putting the food in the tank.
When you start the live brine, I normally put all of the other food in first, so that all of the other fish eat, and then you can put your teaspoon of brine shrimp in and walk away.
And yes, before someone jumps in and says live brine are not nutritional, I would like to say that an anthias eating live brine with vitamins is better than him not eating at all. At least the live brine will get him used to eating in captivity, whereas starving him does not usually work well with anthias.

jon321

Just thought Id give an update, followed your procedure and in just a week the little guy is eating frozen and even flake like a champ. Still a little shy, but darts back out of hiding almost immediately. Thanks! Lovin this anthias, beautiful fish!

Jon