Dislocated Ankle Any Experience. Pics YUM!

crypt keeper

My Father fell off a ladder at 10:30 pm last night. He bought some new cleaning supplies for his boat. As most men do they must try it out right away. He has decent sized boat and the ladder slipped and boom he came crashing down. He didnt need surgery right away but they are saying he will need it. Apparently surgery is very common on a dislocated ankle. Anybody been through this? He is 50 years old. Trying to get an idea of what to expect over the next few months. Right now he is at home on pain

[hr]
with his leg 2 feet in the air. H ehas an appointment on Tuesday to figure out if he will need screws and plates for few weeks or if they stay in forever.

lovethesea

dislocated?? Not broken? OMG, that is horrific. Now on the other hand my daughter who wants to be a nurse......said she would love to see that.

crypt keeper

one of the leg bones broke. Its the inside one. The way the ankle turned it it applied some pressure. I have a video of them setting it back in place. Oh to hear a grown man yell. LOL. It snapped back into place. It was very odd to watch.

reefraff

Mine got twisted off at the joint in "the wreck". I have a plate and no it wont hold magnets (DAMMIT). Have a slight loss of motion but don't notice anything other than that. The other leg is partially paralyzed and the hip is bad so the leg with the ankle plate does most of the work and I probably weigh at least twice what your unc does. I would say they have the plates down to a science.

crypt keeper

If you weigh 500 pounds there are some serious issues going on there. Thats really horrible news though reefraff. We are trying to figure out down time vs Physical therapy and so on.

reefraff

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3274303
If you weigh 500 pounds there are some serious issues going on there. Thats really horrible news though reefraff. We are trying to figure out down time vs Physical therapy and so on.
Close to double
I am 6'5 so I go better than 2 bills looking anorexic
The ankle is hard to say as far as recovery time because I was in traction for 2 months because of the hip. My inner bone was snapped off too. I know I used that leg to push myself back up in bed while I was in traction and even carrying the weight I do it didn't cause any pain. I'd bet they would have him putting weight back on it within a month of the surgery if it was a clean break. I know once I was out of traction I was OKed to put full weight on mine but again, that took 2 months because of the hip, not the ankle.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3274295
. Oh to hear a grown man yell. LOL. It snapped back into place. It was very odd to watch.
heard it before, its not good. A friend dislocated/broke shoulder. All they gave him was "laguhing" gas. Still felt the pain, but just didn't care . Thats some crazy stuff.