DIY 120 reef build......

turningtim

Doc, search "Toyo Tap wheel cutter" I think I got it for like $45 bucks. Works well and 1/4" is a breeze......
Need any other details let me know.

turningtim

I'm putting this here b/c I've seen a bunch of sump questions and I'll know where it is.Heres how I calculate backwash area. This for the 80 DT with a DIY 39 gallon sump.
80 gallon = 48" x 18"x 22" Sump 39 gallons= 45" x 15.5" x 13"
I will lose 1.5" out of the DT in power out.
So, 48" x 18" x 1.5" = 1296" cubed divide by 231 (" cubed in a gallon) = 5.611 gallons. Call it 6
Now how many inches do I need in the sump for the backwash from the DT?
45" x 15.5" x Y
= 6 gallons
697.5Y
= 6 x 231
697.5Y
= 1386" cubed
Y
= 1386"/697.5"
Y
= 1.987" out of the height of the sump
Check -> 45" x 15.5" x 2" = 1395/231 -> 6.039 gallons
Now this will also give Max baffle height. If I wanted to run the straight across my max baffle height would be 13"-2"=11". So I would cut the baffles at 10.5". You can always add water but you can't re-cut the baffles down and this gives just a bit of wiggle room.
But I plan to have the fuge at max height so I need to calc the backwash for the sump section. Which I haven't gotten the sump lay out but this should get some folks started.
HTH
Tim

bkvreef

Originally Posted by TurningTim
I'm putting this here b/c I've seen a bunch of sump questions and I'll know where it is.
Heres how I calculate backwash area. This for the 80 DT with a DIY 39 gallon sump.
80 gallon = 48" x 18"x 22" Sump 39 gallons= 45" x 15.5" x 13"
I will lose 1.5" out of the DT in power out.
So, 48" x 18" x 1.5" = 1296" cubed divide by 231 (" cubed in a gallon) = 5.611 gallons. Call it 6
Now how many inches do I need in the sump for the backwash from the DT?
45" x 15.5" x Y
= 6 gallons
697.5Y
= 6 x 231
697.5Y
= 1386" cubed
Y
= 1386"/697.5"
Y
= 1.987" out of the height of the sump
Check -> 45" x 15.5" x 2" = 1395/231 -> 6.039 gallons
Now this will also give Max baffle height. If I wanted to run the straight across my max baffle height would be 13"-2"=11". So I would cut the baffles at 10.5". You can always add water but you can't re-cut the baffles down and this gives just a bit of wiggle room.
But I plan to have the fuge at max height so I need to calc the backwash for the sump section. Which I haven't gotten the sump lay out but this should get some folks started.
HTH
Tim
Awesome!!
Greatly appreciate the insight.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by chuckcac
nice... someone else that still knows how to use algebra...

Amen (I'm a High School Math teacher)!
And I will actually probably use this as an example!!!

psusocr1

Always gotta show me up!

haha great job, everything looks awesome and is coming along very nice! cant wait to see these come together, although to us building them is my favorite (and most stressfull) part!

turningtim

Hey Bobby, was wondering when you would show up again!
When you built your glass tank did you assemble it on its bottom or on its back? Heres my thinking, I gonna try and build this sump on its back and place the baffles before I place the front. Get what I'm saying?
So it would go, back, bottom, sides, baffles and then the front. I don't think I get it all sili'd up in one day but thats OK......
What do you think?
Tim

psusocr1

i think its really your preference on how you want the order to be, and IMO the way you want to do it would be the "smart" way.. this way you dont have to "insert" the baffles all in there after your done. The only thing that worries me is that you said your not going to get it all sili'd up in one day.. i think its a MUST to get get it done in one shot or you are going to take the risk of not getting everything square and lined up properly. PLUS in my experience its much easier to get a cleaner , tighter fit when you use duct tape after you sili it to hold it together along with the clamps, so that you have all the pressure pushing against each other to keep the air bubbles out.
i would do a "mock" run at it anyway to make sure your cuts are perfect and get all the tape ready to be set etc. etc. and then i would just go at it..
But thats just an opinion from a mad man that likes to play with glass and acrylic...

turningtim

Well I already know that my cuts are off a bit (1/32") not really worried. Its just a sump! I knew you would say to do it in one shot. We have talked before about jigs and fixtures and thats where my attention is right now. I think a story board with dados cut in it where the sides and baffles are going is the first thing I'll make. Thinking of making a couple of right angle squares that I can

[hr]
down to my bench.
I remember you using some sort of frame and using shims to tighten it up. I'll get it done and I hope it will be this weekend. I have all the pieces cut except the bottom. thats going to be a 3 cut piece so I still have a chance to blow this whole thing up!
I hear ya I wish I had an endless supply to play with. Ya know this is that DIY tank glass I bought a couple years ago when you built/broke yours! I knew I'd use it somehow....
Thanks
Tim

turningtim

Well after I got all but the bottom cut for the sump. The bottom didn't break correctly! ARGGGG!!! I could probably fix it b/c the usable piece is still intact but I have about an extra 6" x 1" triangle still attached. This is the problem with working with used glass! Must have picked up a scratch line or something. Not Happy.
So right now I'm cooling off and debating what I'm going to do. I really wanted this glass to work for something but my head is saying just get a sheet of acrylic and build a sump and not bother with the glass!

turningtim

Where is everybody?
Anyway I just picked up a sheet of cast acrylic and going forward with an acrylic sump. I figure the glass I can cut down and maybe get a narrower frag tank out of it or something down the road. I just don't have time to mess with it and the acrylic is just so much easier!
I'm totally bummed I can't use the glass but oh well!

mrinelfrlz

sorry about the glass!
it was going good but these things happen unfortunately
but with your ability with acrylic the sump will be done in no time

wattsupdoc

Trust me Tim, your problems could be worse. Try dealing with a home network, with 3 different kind of pc's, a Vista desktop, a vista laptop, and a xp desktop. All with problems trying to use the same printer and compatability issues with the xp machine. Then the xp machine crashes and wont reboot, suspected virus there! Got a newgraphics card for mine so I can use 2 monitors. The D$mn disk that came with it with the program on it doesnt work. Spent all evening trying to find my way around that. Got up yesterday and my work truck had 2 flats! Morning apointments meant I couldnt miss them and go get them fixed. Mother inlaws car broke down 3 weeks ago and she has had my other truck since then, so that wasnt an option. I played johny air 'em up all day, hopping from meeting to meeting, till I could get new tires. I just wanna tinker with my tanks a little!

Sorry for your glass breaking wrong. It's a bummer. The acrylic will be sweeter any ways. Maybe I'll rethink using the 55 after all. If this kinda stuff keeps up, I'll shoot the da*n thing just for kicks!

ameno

sorry to hear about the glass, sounds like my kinda luck. don't get discouraged you'll get there

wattsupdoc

Didnt mean to come across wrong. hope I didnt. Just take a step back and hit it again. You'll get 'er done!

turningtim

No worries Doc! I have been on my back for a couple days with the stomach flu. So not much has changed. I think I may get out there today. I take some pics!