DIY OverFLow and Return pump question.

jeff s.

Ok doing a DIY overflow on my 225. The pvc style. Would like one on each end, would 1 1/2" be big enough or would I want 2". Sump is to be a DIY in my 75 gal. Looking for a return pump with good flow. Have shopped around and decided on a Tunze, just need a recomendation on size.
Got light and will take a pic soon and get it posted. Got the Current 1079, the 250x3 MH with the 8 T5's and nite lights. Thing is a beast and looks awesome on my tank now with my Frontosas in it. Is just temporary but had to try it out.
Jeff

isistius

i would go with 2" pvc. if it's larger then it needs to be for the pump, then fine. but throttling back a return in such a pain....

jeff s.

Bonus, I have 2 inch pipe sticks already and was planning on it. Then thought maybe to much so I would be buying inch and half.
Any pump suggestions be great.
Jeff

jeff s.

Anyone have pump suggestion.... Tunze 6000 be enough for a 225 gallon tank ??
Flow rate is just under 2000 gph.
Jeff

jeff s.

Originally Posted by Isistius
not for a return pump. are you planning for an internal or external pump application?
Internal. Wouldnt that be best way to go ? I need something efficient and fairly quiet. I have heard Tunzes are both of those, so was hoping to go that route. I need enough flow, but dont want to over do it.
Jeff

wattsupdoc

I'd do a mag24. Also, If you want to you could build some baffles in the tank to hide the OF and return lines.

jeff s.

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
I'd do a mag24. Also, If you want to you could build some baffles in the tank to hide the OF and return lines.
Was hoping to find something a bit more energy efficient. Is there such a pump that would be suitable for my type of set up?
Jeff

isistius

are you planning a closed loop system? or powerheads in hte tank for additional flow? what type of set up are you going to do - softies, lps, sps, mixed reef?

jeff s.

Mixed reef. Light is 250x3 MH and then 8 t5's. So I should have plenty. I was hoping to do closed loop.
Sump is a 75 gallons, skimmer is aqua euro 400, which will be in sump obviously. Still trying to figure out the size of the return area and size of fuge, also amount of baffles. I planned on 2. I am not sure what type of flow I will get with the DIY overflows, but i built one of the two last night. I as suggested by someone put the elbow that is in tank higher then outside elbow where the drain is. I am using 1 1/4 inch for the over flow.
Jeff