diy pvc overflows pics

mayb keeper

Finally finished them!! Here are the pics
Front view of right hand side overflow

Side-front view

Front view of both overflows

B

bonita69

what is the capped off pipe for? I think good job but I think it would look better in black. What is the GPH

mayb keeper

Capped pipe is a vent pipe so bubbles can escape. It has a 1/4" drilled hole to let air escape.
I believe that 1" pipe has 600gph, so the two could run 1200 gph. My mag7 will probably run in the mid-400s though, so that will dictate the flow.

new-guy

what happens when you cap off the pipe and only run one instead of two also do they restart them selves. im going to make one myself for my 45 gal with a 10gal sump what size of mag pump would i need im thinking a mag 5.....

mayb keeper

I tested them outside and they started up again every time. At least 5 tries. I will test again tomorrow(70s and sunny in CO
) with the pump running the return.
You can only use 1, but using 2 is a good idea. In case one loses siphon, the other can handle the flow.
Do NOT completely cap off the vent pipe!!! Air will build up and stop the siphon. In fact, you can run these without a cap at all. I put it on to quiet the system, but I drilled a 1/4" hole at the very top.
New-guy, a 10 gal sump is small. Try to find room for a 20L tank. The system will run much better!

new-guy

a 10 gal is all i can fit in my stand but im not going to run a fuge in it also im going to run my canister filter to with it. is it that loud without the cap? alsohow many gph with a3/4 pipe?

mayb keeper

I don't know how loud they are yet. I've heard they are exceptionally quiet. Especially when the drilled caps are used. See the site that yerboy posted for gph estimates. Wish I had that before I built these, but I probably would have gone with the 1" pvc anyways.
Sidenote: I was told 1" id pvc had a gph of 600gph by the "expert" at my local mega-corporate hardware store

new-guy

how come you are using a check valve and a airline on top of the overflow when there is already a vent?

B

bonita69

hey what will you put on the intake so fish and snails don't go on a wild water ride into the sump?

mayb keeper

When I install them, I will use the check valve to suck out the air from the bend that goes over the side of the tank. Removing that air starts the siphon. This is called priming. The check valve prevents air from being sucked into that bend by the rushing water.
Search here for diy pvc overflows and read through all of hal000 and Isistius's posts on this subject. They are MUCH more knowledgeable than lowly I.
Bonita, I don't have fish yet. I will either try to find a strainer cup that will work, or fashion a sponge filter into a guard. Although if I were a fish, I might like to ride the wild white pipe

yerboy

Originally Posted by new-guy
http:///forum/post/2497416
what size of return pump would you use on one of these with a 3/4 in pipe in a 10 gal sump
A danner mag 3 would maybe be a good pump for this.
Any high pressure pump in the 300-400 gph range really.