DIY Refugium help

dexter

Hello fellow reefers. Here's the situation. I have a spare 10 gallon and am trying to figure out how to set up a refugium for my 100 gallon.
I have attached the pictures to assist you all in what i am looking at. The 10 gallon would sit next to the 30 gallon sump approximately 6" higher.
I am planning on 2 baffels , one on each side about 4-6" from the edges and about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the tank to provide a good spot for LS, LR and macro algae.
Now the question parts. i am looking into how I get the water from the tank down to the refugium and then from the refugium into the sump so I can utilize the return pump from the sump to pump the refugium water back into the tank....
The 100 gallon is a closed loop with two 1" holes on the top corners for the overflows to drainn intot he sump. Can I utilize some PVC and a "type" of hang on the back of the tank overflow type of something for the water to flow fromt he tank to the refugium?
Then could gravity be utilized to transfer the water form the refugium into the sump?
I am thinking the this may work, however, my thoughts are a little unclear. I have an extra MaxJet PH (400). Could I use this to return the water from the fuge to the sump?
Thank you all inadvance for your thoughts, suggestions and opinions. if anyone can locate a previous thread and post it, that would be helpful. i have read all the refugium threads in the Archives Forum here, and hence some of my questions.
Thanks again!

dxtr

hurt

I'm a little bit confused on what you are trying to say. Where is your return pump currently located in your sump? I believe I see an ATO in the right chamber? If your return pump was in this chamber all you would have to do is put a T off the return line with a ball valve going to your fuge. Then you will have to drill the fuge for the gravity fed drain back into your sump.

dexter

I'm a little bit confused on what you are trying to say. Where is your return pump currently located in your sump?
It is located in the far right chamber of the sump tank. First picture.
I was thinking if there was a way to get the fuge to drain into the tank with out having to drill.... but using a pump, I am subjected to possible overflow onto the carpet, right?
dxtr

bojik

cheap and easy :) raise one tank higher put the overflows (form tanks) into that then a overflow thingy like what you slap on the back of a tank HOB style and put a hose to drain into the lower one with the pump. Ie: turn current sump around put the overflows from DT into the higher one then the over flow from that higher tank into lower and set up how you wish other whise :)

dexter

that's what I was thinking. I have a small HOB filter that I can connect a hose to and have it drain into the Fuge, then drill a hole in the left side so gravity can do the rest and let it drain into the sump return pump area!
Thanks!!
dxtr

bojik

If you get an overflow for the higher one you won't need ot drill :) and risk cracking the glass.

joez

This is almost setup exactly like my 90 and 180. I just run a pump to the refugium from the sump, and an overflow from the refugium back to the sump. Almost like a double closed-loop setup with one loop on the main display tank and the other on the refuge. Works for me.

N

n_sarno

this is exactly what I want to do.. but I'm not at all technical and am confused about the responses so I was wondering Dexter if you have already done this if I could see a picture possibly?

joez

Ok...I don't have a picture that would explain anything, but I'll try to verbalize to help.
First, I assume you know how an overflow and sump works, correct? The tank holds a max of say 200 gallons, and the sump will hold a max of say 10 gallons. A pump takes water from the sump that is only filled with about 1 or 2 gallons of water and pumps it into the main tank that has all 200 gallons. The overflow brings the excess water (anything more than that 200 gallons) back into the sump. The ammount entering the sump will always be the same as the ammount pumped out, because that 200gallons is constant. Follow?
If you know how that idea works, then the setup is easy. You basically are running two tanks on one sump. I have a pump going to my main tank from the sump, and a pump going to my refuge from my sump. Both my main tank and my refuge will maintain their max capacity because they have overflows that direct the excess back into the sump.
If that doesn't help enough I'll draw a picture for you...lol
GL!

dexter

JoeZ. Yeppers, i understand the concept of overflow and return pumps
thanks for the 411

What I am questioning is the HOB filter that will draw DT water (from the middle and not skimming the top) into the HOB resivoir and the 1" hole that will drain to the refuge. Then have gravity take the fuge water into the sump for return to the DT.
I am looking at using a T on my current overflows on the DT and routing one to the fuge, however, I have very limited space behind my DT to accomplish. (I may do this in the future)
I'll be getting the 10 gl drilled this week for the gravity return to the sump return pump :joy:
I'll post pics once complete. Baffles and the remainder will be done this weekend.
Thanks again all for your thoughts, suggestions and ideas!
Dxtr

joez

I again suggest running two loops. Running one with limited space like you are suggesting gives me concerns. How much turnover do you have with your current sump pump? You may give the refuge too much flow unless you limit it some how.
If you put a valve of some sort on to limit the flow you may be good though. Sounds like you'll have a great setup to support your tank.

dexter

I could install a Ball Valve on the PVC from the HOB to the fuge to control the flow into the fuge, while still utilizing gravity for the return to the sump.
I believe the retun pump is rated at 1000-1200 gph. I have also located a website that sells the overflows. I may get one of those if my HOB project doesn't work.

The other thought I had was IF the HOB doesn't drain into the fuge fast enough, it is a filter and the excess will simply go right back into the DT....on the flip side, IF the HOD doesn't draw enough water to drain into the fuge
.... this seems to be my main concern.... :notsure:
thanks for your assistance and thoughts JayZ, and others!
dxtr

dexter

thank you all for your assistance and thoughts!

I am pleased to announce my Fuge is set up and working wonderfully! I have utilized the righ overflow tube from my DT and re-routed it directly into my new Fuge. Once the fuge gets to the necessary height, gravity takes over and returns the water to my sump fro returning to the DT. I believe this is called the double loop, howver, I am not sure what it is called.
It is working great and all I need now is some more LS, LR and Cheato!! woo hoo
My wife is even excited! :notsure:

dxtr
Oh Yea - I went the storage tub route. A hell of a lot eaisier to drill then a tempered 10 gallon tank!

joez

Congrats on setting it up. Repost on here in a couple months with your thoughts on how well it works once your fuge starts to develop. Enjoy!
Joe Z.

bojik

Glad you figured it out. cheap but effective. Always the way to aim for. Low cost with high effect = good

dexter

NSarno and everyone.
the fuge is working wonderfully. Kept close eye to make sure no leaks or problems, and so far so good!

I will be getting a screen for the bulkhead returning hte water to my sump. already found a wandering snail in there. :scared:
Good luck and i'll post pics once it gets a lil more established.
dxtr