DIY Sump

wattsupdoc

Salty blues,
I wasnt attacking you, not at all. Or your design. I just find it frustrating when someone asks for then gets good advice and then doesnt listen to it. I thought he was under the impression you used 2 pumps to run you'rs. And I think he still is.

salty blues

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
Salty blues,
I wasnt attacking you, not at all. Or your design. I just find it frustrating when someone asks for then gets good advice and then doesnt listen to it. I thought he was under the impression you used 2 pumps to run you'rs. And I think he still is.

Hey it's all cool. Yeh, I was getting the same drift about the two pump thing & wanted to be sure it was understood I just used one. Peace

salty blues

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Yeah isn't that stupid? There are lots of things that are censored out that have perfectly legitimate uses.
Must be a zero tolerance cen
sor!

salty blues

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Yeah isn't that stupid? There are lots of things that are censored out that have perfectly legitimate uses.
Must be a zero tolerance censor!

yannifish

Well, I just want to let eveyone know that I was not ignoring anyones post, and thank everyone for giving me ideas, its just that maybe yours was not the plan I was looking for. And no, I am using one pump!

colotl

Hal000,
Were did you get the strainer for you overflow inlet?? I made a pair my self and for the strainer i use endcaps with holes.

hal000

ask your lfs they usually have them behind the counter, with bulkhead kits.
if not search online for bulkhead slipscreens! DO NOT use end caps it will slow flow to much leading to probs, until you slipscreens. an old fish net would be better.
do not go with 2 inch as it would be to bulky and overkill, i dont think i would use that on a 400 gallon.2x 1 1/4 would be perfect, 1 1/2 would also be overkill.
also make sure to put elbow on drain like in pic. keeps it alot quieter.
also an endcap on vent pipe,makes quieter.
someone here recently( like yesterday posted plans ). these are plans i have passed on in the past. just dont forget elbow on drain, and end cap like they did.
also i live in florida, sometimes we go without power for hours and somtimes days. this happens all the time. and these guys start up every time.
when your ready to start this let me know, i have more tips!!!

yannifish

Hal000, what are the advantages of having an overflow like yours instead of just a siphon?
Oh! So say power went out for 20 minutes and water was sucked into the sump below the overflow so it stopped, the the power came back on so the pump started up again, when the water gets back to the overflow, it will start up again? So you don't have a flood!

I just wish it looked nicer!

hal000

yes no overflow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
also it will look nicer, by fragging some GSP,zoas or palys. they will soon cover the pipe. and the gsp take of in no time. this also gives them a spot where they wont, take over the tank.
also coraline loves pvc, and will cover pvc way befor glass, helping to seed the rest of the tank faster.
a place to glue frags and grow coraline!!!!!!!!!!! Whats wrong with that!!!!!!!!!!! most of us cant find enough space to glue frags!!
I also like to glue frags on my return.

yannifish

Well, I'm not set up for corals yet (I don't think 30w is enough
), so I was thinking about getting large diameter black pvc, cuting a peice that will fit in my corner, and drilling holes in it. I will them put it in the corner of my tank and pu the overflow in it. Or mabye I will just deal with it and put in in view and some how grow coraline on it!

If made out of 3/4 in pvc, about what are the dimensions of the overflow? The site I am looking to buy the pump from says the nozzle on the pump is 3/4 in.

yannifish

OK, read your post and am a little confused. 1) You drill a hole in the top of the pvc where the read dot is and glue in a check valve? 2) which way is the check valve going? 3) what does this do? 4) How do you start it, 5) and say the water goes below the overflow in a power outage. when the power comes back on, the pump puts water back into the dt and it goes over the overlflow again. Will the overflow start back up again?