Do i need a fuge if i have a macro algae problem in my DT

I am having a macro problem in my DT. Not to mention some red hair algae. My Phosphates are a little high. I have been reading and reading, and a couple articles say to make a fuge with cheato and mangrove pods. That way the algae in you DT will be competing with you fuge. And the Mangrove pods help lower phosphates, amongst other things. So is a fuge a way to control it? I have been doing some WC so, but i want to combat it another way. I figure it wont hurt?

king_neptune

A turf scrubber also is a good idea. The algae will naturally want to grow in the easiest place possible, by giving it a place to go to naturally you deplete its desire to grow in the DT.
And a phos/carbon reactor is another relatively cheap way to get that crystal clear water. 60 bucks gets you a nice dual chamber one from bulk reef supply. High quality media would run you about $35 every 6months or so.
Both or either of these options are worth looking into .

gio28

you dont require a fuge but IMO it will sure help. im building mine right now and plan on getting a ton of cheato in there. just keep it lighted and growing and it will help keep algae out of the main tank as well as lower phosphates and nitrates.

Yeah ive looked into a turf scrubber before. Its more the Macro in my DT that i have a problem with. I realize its good, but man is it ugly!!! And it is not the easiest thing to get rid of. Even with tweezers and time.......

What if i just did mangrove pods. They would be easier in my situation. Plus apparently they have fantastic benefits. I just noticed them popping up at my LFS about 6-7 months ago.

aquaknight

Mangroves in reality don't have very much benefit at all. They simply don't grow quick enough and don't take in nutrients fast. They are pretty cool to look at though. The idea behind macro algae in the fuge is that you what some that actually competes with the nusiance algae in the display. Chaeto, caulerpa, and turf algae do that.
I would be pretty concerned though, if you're having that much algae problems in the display and you're showing phosphates. Typically you'll also read 0 phosphates because the nuisance algae will consume every bit of phosphates and mis-display a 0 reading.