Do I need to QT a Sixline?

sully677

i will be purchasing a new sixline soon from my LFS. Are they susceptible to ich? Do they need to be QT?

jackri

I would, even if they weren't susceptible to ich they could still be carrying the parasite from the tank they were in.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Calvertbill
http:///forum/post/3108450
six line 14 line, sand, LR, coral, if it's wet QT it!
This should be the 1st rule of fishkeeping.Understanding WHY everything should be QT'd is vital for success in our hobby, IMO.

evanjah

i dont like to quarantine fish. Unless you have a big quarantine tank all set up I truly feel it stresses the fish out more. I have had ich before but i always get thru it

ccampbell57

Not QTing a fish is the worst thing you can do in this hobby. Evan - I fully disagree with your statement that it "stresses" the fish out. In what way does putting a fish in a 30-55g tank by itself for an extended period of time with timed feedings and no other animals in the tank with it stressful?
Dont you think getting plucked from the ocean, placed in a holding tank, sent to a wholesalers tank, moved a few times, placed in a bag, shipped over night to a retailer, placed in a tank with a bunch of other fish that are stressed and then taken home to your tank and dropped in with acclimated fish is not stressful?
If your QT is running 24/7 like it should be and maintained like a normal tank, then there is no difference between QT and DT. Placing it in DT is like Russian roulettle (sp?)...sooner or later you will lose...

kjr_trig

Uh oh, the 3 ranking officials of the "QT Police" have all chimed in (Sep, SrFisher, and Campbell)....There is no going back now

The only thing I will say against QT is if it is not done properly, it is very dangerous to the fish. You need to be more attentive to a QT tank by far than the typical DT tank. You really need to dedicate time and attention to a proper QT or it is not going to be successful.
I don't fear Ick, I do fear Marine Velvet

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3110694
Uh oh, the 3 ranking officials of the "QT Police" have all chimed in (Sep, SrFisher, and Campbell)....There is no going back now

The only thing I will say against QT is if it is not done properly, it is very dangerous to the fish. You need to be more attentive to a QT tank by far than the typical DT tank. You really need to dedicate time and attention to a proper QT or it is not going to be successful.
I don't fear Ick, I do fear Marine Velvet

Velvet is a real nasty parasite. Velvet & ich are only two of the gazillion parasites & diseases that can be introduced to your DT. I'd much rather have a sick fish croak (or hopefully cured) in QT than take a chance on infecting an entire display.

florida joe

Sad to say, some people need to learn the had way. IMO the most ardent disciples of QT are those with the horror story’s of not quarantining

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3110889
Sad to say, some people need to learn the had way. IMO the most ardent disciples of QT are those with the horror story’s of not quarantining
That is certainly true, the worst issue I have had from not Qting was Velvet in my Nano that only got 2 fish, the infected fish came from ***** (imagine that). If I add anything in the future to my large, now well established 240, they will be QTed.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3110889
Yeah Joe; I think there are two kinds of hobbiests: those who Always QT and those who will after the inevitable happens. (And, sadly, those who just give up after a big tank disaster.)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by sully677
http:///forum/post/3110914
Marine velvet? I am not familiar with that.
It is another parasite. The danger with this one is that it concentrates in the gills. By the time that it appears on the fish's body, the fish is highly infested. It can easilly wipe out a tank full of fish in no time. The only cure is copper treatment, which cannot be done in the display. On top of that the parasites have a longer life cycle than ich and can survive two months or more in a tank without fish. It is a nasty parasite to get.
IMO the only time that a quarantine tank is stressful to fish is if the tank was just thrown together or is grossly undersized, which results in poor water conditions.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/3111532
It is another parasite. The danger with this one is that it concentrates in the gills. By the time that it appears on the fish's body, the fish is highly infested. It can easilly wipe out a tank full of fish in no time. The only cure is copper treatment, which cannot be done in the display. On top of that the parasites have a longer life cycle than ich and can survive two months or more in a tank without fish. It is a nasty parasite to get.
IMO the only time that a quarantine tank is stressful to fish is if the tank was just thrown together or is grossly undersized, which results in poor water conditions.
Yep, what could be LESS stressful than having a tank with plenty of hiding places and no bullies or competition for food? And, if you use water for your QT taken from your DT at water change time; the new fish will be completely acclimated to the DT's water condition when his probation is over.
BTW, I had a case of velvet, like Kirk talked about, show up on a fish in QT a few months ago. This stuff can be hard to spot and I can't imagine the headache if I put this fish straight into a DT. It was very easy to cure in QT.

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/3112034
Yep, what could be LESS stressful than having a tank with plenty of hiding places and no bullies or competition for food? And, if you use water for your QT taken from your DT at water change time; the new fish will be completely acclimated to the DT's water condition when his probation is over.
BTW, I had a case of velvet, like Kirk talked about, show up on a fish in QT a few months ago. This stuff can be hard to spot and I can't imagine the headache if I put this fish straight into a DT. It was very easy to cure in QT.
So the fish actually survived the Velvet, Steve? Curious what kind of fish, you must have caught it pretty early? By the time I noticed it on the Clown, he and his Clown buddy were gone within 24 hours.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3112038
So the fish actually survived the Velvet, Steve? Curious what kind of fish, you must have caught it pretty early? By the time I noticed it on the Clown, he and his Clown buddy were gone within 24 hours.
Hi Kirk. Just finished watching the PGA. The fish were a pair of Fiji Barberi Clownfish. These are really gorgeous clowns, and fairly cheap; these are also the only fish I've seen with velvet since I started buying almost all my fish from one online source. I know copper is the treatment of choice; but Tetra used to sell some stuff, a purple med called "Tetra-Oomed", or something similar. Velvet used to be called Oodinium, now by another name. It was taken off the market in about 2000, but I managed to find a supply (unlabeled) a few years ago "just in case". Tetra-Oomed must have had a meth blue base, it turns water a dark blue and must (like almost all meds) be used in QT. This stuff has almost always worked for me and I had plenty of velvet when I bought at lfs years ago. Velvet is hard stuff to see; usually looking at the fish along the sides at an angle is the best way to spot it. I think a lot of brooklynella (clownfish disease) is really velvet and folks treat the velvet with formalin, which won't work.