Do Lionfish host ich or other parasites???

penske38

I have a 125 gallon fish tank that has been setup and running for about five years. I have generally had a healthy tank up until about 3 weeks ago. I added a Lion fish to the tank about two months ago and a few fish in my tank developed ich. I've have had a UV sterilizer running since I started my tank and this is the second time I have had to deal with disease in the tank. It seems that whenever I add a lion fish to my setup, it's tank mates develop a disease. Well, subsequently, the lion fish died today and it seems that the fish have already stopped scratching. The funny thing is that, even after I turned off the skimmer and UV sterilizer to treat the tank with "Prazipro," it didn't seem to arrest the disease. Now it seems that the fish are on the mend. Does anyone know if lion fish carry disease???

cranberry

All and any fish can bring disease/parasites into a tank. A new additionc an cause an outbreak of an already present parasite.
Prazipro won't do anything for Ich.

penske38

I agree with what you stated. However, it appears that since I've used Prazipro, turned the UV sterilizer back on and the Lion fish has died, everything is on the mend! All I know is that this is the second lion fish that I've placed in a healthy fish tank, in which ich has occurred. I won't be buying another lion fish, that's for sure!

cranberry

You probbaly need to start QTing.... lionfish are no more prone to illness than others. It was just a coincidence it was a lionfish twice. Ich is in your system, you add stressor, like a new fish, and you can have an outbreak of what was already there in manageable unseen numbers. The lion died, the stressor is gone, the tank returns to normal. I'm not saying that's what happened, but you have to consider all the possibilities when coming to a conclusion over what happened in your tank.
I you want to battle Ich in the future, use something other than Prazi Pro, that's more for flukes and worms and such.

penske38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranberry http:///forum/thread/381555/do-lionfish-host-ich-or-other-parasites#post_3324529
You probbaly need to start QTing.... lionfish are no more prone to illness than others. It was just a coincidence it was a lionfish twice. Ich is in your system, you add stressor, like a new fish, and you can have an outbreak of what was already there in manageable unseen numbers. The lion died, the stressor is gone, the tank returns to normal. I'm not saying that's what happened, but you have to consider all the possibilities when coming to a conclusion over what happened in your tank.
I you want to battle Ich in the future, use something other than Prazi Pro, that's more for flukes and worms and such.
Thanks for sharing! What you stated makes much sense. Can you tell me what I might use in case of future outbreaks of ich
( God forbid)? I don't want to use copper at all. I've also used "Herbtana" and don't like it either. It did nothing to remove the ich.

muma

Gucci shoeshas altered styles like men gucci shoes,Gucci boots and Gucci Womens Boots.Gucci Womens Boots are so air-conditioned and personalize.Men Gucci shoesare actual accepted in 2009,and it is additionally be a cool brilliant in 2010 in the appearance world.Appearance and accepted architecture mix with Awakening appearance elements accomplish these cheap Gucciawakening shoes the archetypal of the family.
Air Jordanshad been a adherent of sports additional the establishing of that new band was declared to accent that period.Jordan Shoesseems to be the antidote to our office job lives.Air jordan 1,air jordan forcebroke ground for many different aspects of Jordan shoe line.These air jordan 2011Derek Jeter at the moment are awash over the net.Now Jordan heel bootsis one of the most famous shoe brands in the international shoe markets.