Do you think this anenome is bleached?

entice59

its a rbta but im not 100% sure if it is bleached or not
The bulbs are more redish then the pictures show

entice59

i am keeping it here, im trying to keep the clowns from beating it up until it gets used to the tank

entice59

im having trouble feeding it also, i try to put food but its not really reacting to it. Ive used silversides to mysis and nothing is happening. Should i try live brine?
i got it on saturday, the base seems to be coloring up a little bit though

attml

Try very small chunks of silversides (1/3 thumbnail size) Try setting it in the tentacles near the mouth or right near the mouth (do not force it in the mouth)

viper_930

What kind of lights do you have?
For feedings, it probably isn't sticky anymore. It will recover from that though, just takes more time. He will grow more zooxanthelae from the light and he will get his brown tint back in a few weeks.

entice59

my tomato is hosting to it, how should i try to feed it, should i put a container on top of it while i try to feed it?

entice59

or should i do what i did earlier? i just let it out today, i know not to rip it from where the anenome is because it would harm it

viper_930

Just let it be. The tomato will feed it, if the anemone would eat at all. Then the anemone would position itself to get enough light to regain his zooxanthelae. Try not to reposition it because if it gets too much light with not enough zooxanthelae you can shock it. What kind of lights do you have?

entice59

i have t5 teklight system, 4x54 watt bulbs in a 55 gallon tank
thank you for the quick responses

viper_930

The lighting is minimal, but the anemone should do ok. Try feeding about 2 times a week to see if it can eat. If it can, then continue feeding it about 2-3 times weekly.

attml

Keep an eye on the Tomato. They can be aggressive in the begining with an anemone to the point where they can cause a tear in the anemone's disk. Often it takes time for clowns to develop a symbiotic relationship with the anemone (where it will bring it food) even though they have made it their home. If the Tomato is interfering with the anemone's ability to eat you should definitely consider seperating them until the anemone is healthy or at least fend him off while the anemone has time to eat. Weak anemones have a very slow feeding response and i have seen it take a long time for them to feed. I have fended off clowns from several of my anemones so that they could eat!

entice59

should i try to seperate it until the color is back and it responds more to food? What should i do to the anenome to keep it away from the clown? do the same thing quarentine it like i did in the begining? My tomato had a really nice algae host and it tore it to shreds, im guessing it would do the same to the rbta.
are there signs that i should loook for that i should keep it seperate?
http://www.melevsreef.com/pics/0404/rbta.html this site gave me the idea to keep it away for awhile

attml

It all depends on how the clown is with the anemone and how the anemone is doing. If the anemone is weak and not eating then you want to try to create as stress free of enviroment as possible until it can recover. If you can put the clown in your sump for a while that is ideal. If not, they do make tank seperators. I would keep the anemone in the tank not confined if possible. It may want to move to find better conditions and it is important that it receives some water flow.

entice59

i dont have a sump and my 15 has a maroon, i'll see what i can do
maxijets dont have things to lower their flow rate, do you have any ideas? i might just seperate half the tank then

S

spsaddict

Originally posted by ViPeR_930
The lighting is minimal, but the anemone should do ok. Try feeding about 2 times a week to see if it can eat. If it can, then continue feeding it about 2-3 times weekly.

thats not minimal lighting reaserch the t-5's, before making that statement. granted they are not as good as mh, but they imo are better than vho