Do you use a sand or a "reef sand"?

saltwater8

Just wondering how many people here actually use a sand (sugar sized) or a "reef" type "sand" (larger than sugar sized)?
Do you have any problems with the sand (sugar sized)?

moby

Do you have any problems with the sand (sugar sized)?
I use the sugar sized and really no problems. Most burrowing fish and inverts seem to do much better with the smaller grained sand, some even require it to thrive.
Also, the sugar sand facilitates the bacteria needed to process nitrates in the deeper portions of the sand bed.
Moby

S

sinner's girl

I only found the kind that was the size of sugar...not in the tank yet though

alyssia

I have the "bigger" sand in my reef and the sugar sand in my 55 and seahorse tank. I prefer the look of the sugar sized sand, but the critters don't seem to mind either way.

saltwater8

I was just wondering if anyone had any "sand storms" ever with the sugar sized sand?
I like the look of the sugar sized much better also, and would like to use it in my new 120, but am a little afraid of a "sand storm", or sand kicking up on live rock??
How far above the sand do you have a powerhead?
Thats going to be my problem..finding the right depth to put the powerhead so it wont stir up sand but will have flow across the bed to help with oxygen levels and waste.

kzoo

Sugar sand is to messy for me seems to get kicked up. Looks good just to light and flys around easy, likes to cover you rocks always having to blow it off. :mad: