Does anyone deal in scrap metal/materials?

So I just had a deep freezer take a poo-poo on me at the shop. Last time I lost a fridge, I took it to scrap the thing myself, and I think I got like $8 and some change for it. So this time around, I just posted on Craigslist that I had a freezer I wanted to get rid of, free to the first person who would come haul it away.

I had 10 responses within 15 minutes.

So my question is, what am I missing here? Why would that many people want to go out of their way for something that would get them $8?

2quills

I know a few scrappers down here that I deal with all the time. Every city is crawling with them. The copper is what they want as well as the compressor, fan, defrost element, thermostat etc. All of that stuff has value if it can reused or scrapped. There's more than $8 there to some people.

2quills

Especially if they can refab it on the cheap.
Oh yeah, you'd be suprised how many folks will toss a perfectly good fridge because the compressor quite running. Often times its simply a $5 capacitor that filters the electrical signal coming into the compressor.
A good day for them to find a couple of those or used a/c units that still have life but just needs a little tlc.