Does anyone have an Invert Tank?

rainmkr07

Most tanks are reef only, or fish only. But does anyone have the primary focus of their tank being Inverts, not corals or fish?
As of right now, I like some fish, the blue hippo tang, percula clowns, yellow tangs, and some corals are really nice, like galaxea, frogspawn, torch, candy cane, etc. But what I love the most, by far and away, are the inverts. In particular, crabs, shrimp, lobster. Something about them crawling around the sand or rocks, with their pincers and doing their thing, does anyone else feel this way?
I am guessing invert-focused tanks don't exist (with a few fish and corals perhaps, but only as secondary focuses) because you can't mix lots of inverts maybe? This is my ideal stock list I feel like, and I am sure it's horrible and would never work, I guess I was posting this fishing to see if any other hobbyists here understood what I meant about inverts over fish/corals...
How about this for a 75 gallon tank:
2 Emerald Crabs
2 Porcelain Crabs
2 Sally Lightfoot Crabs
2 Boxing Crabs
10 Blueleg Hermit Crabs
10 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
2 Blue Spiny Lobster
2 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Coral Banded Shrimp
20 Turbo Snails
2 Cleaner Clams
1 Fighting Conch
1 Queen Conch
10 Feather Dusters
2 Percula Clownfish
Galaxea Coral
Frogspawn Coral
Star Green Polyp
Candy Cane Coral
Torch Coral
3 Mushrooms
3 Zoos
3 Brains

rbaldino

I guess one problem with having a tank with so many inverts is that they're mostly scavengers or algae grazers. There simply may not be enough in the tank to sustain all those different crabs, shrimp, and snails. Plus, some of those species don't get along well with one another, making it difficult to have more than one of some particular species.

bizkitpug

I would say not to get 2 lobsters, usually only 1 per tank. If he isn't well fed, he will start eating what he catches. Also I am pretty sure all those crabs will eat your feather dusters.

J

jamparty

Originally Posted by bizkitpug
I would say not to get 2 lobsters, usually only 1 per tank. If he isn't well fed, he will start eating what he catches. Also I am pretty sure all those crabs will eat your feather dusters.
i don't think sallys and emeralds eat feather dusters. at least that's been my experience.

emm0909

I am a huge fan of inverts. But they are something that you have to pick and choose while you enjoy the rest of the hobby. I have tell myself that I can only have certain species and certain amounts. Otherwise my tank would be crawling with critters.
They are a secondary piece to a tank that can be useful and so enjoyable!

J

jamparty

also i wouldn't try 2 coral bandeds in a 75 unless you know for certain they're mated or have an ungodly amount of rockwork

bizkitpug

The hermits eat the feather dusters. Emeralds can be destructive sometimes I have heard, but mine has never been.

trippkid

sounds like a reef tank to me. Corals are inverts too, so it won't spoil your fun. All joking aside, only mated pairs for the Coral banded shrimps, if not they will fight, I am not sure about the fighting conch, may not be reef safe. Also the CBS may not get along with the other shrimps too. They can be very territorial and aggressive. The spiny lobsters may be problematic too, they can eat crabs,snails, and small fish sometimes. If you do get one, keep it at one, you may or may not even see it once you put it in a tank with rock in it, my puple reef lobster hides all of the time. You never see him, just his shell when it molts. Other than that I think everything else should get along. It is a reef tank though and please research the animals you are trying to put together, sometimes they just won't get along. It is better to know ahead of time.
Matt

coral keeper

Will a cleaner shrimp and a Peppermint Shrimp fight in a 8 gallon tank? Arent the Peppermint Shrimp the kind of shrimp that eat bad anemones?

trippkid

they should be ok together, and yes, peppermints are the ones that eat Apatasia, some times you have to coax or train them to.