does anyone have/had a flame angel?

lovehatejon

I seen one that's really healthy at my LFS yesterday and I'm considering getting it, and i like to hear how you feel about them. (are the they a good addition to the tank, are they easy to take care of? etc..)
i have a vlamingi tang and a blue hippo, so i usually feed flakes and algae sheets and i would like to stick to fish with the same diets and temperament.. and im sure the flame angel will do well.
also can they be a problem with any inverts like hermits and snails? .. i also have serpent stars if that means anything
soo what do you guys think, should i go for it? :)

meowzer

I have a flame angel in my 225G and I love it....some say they nip at corals, but mine has not
Let me give you some advice though.....lose the flakes and feed those fish some real food....frozen mysis, marine cuisine....they are great. They also make food for tangs and angels....mega marine angel is one....and mega marine algae would be great for the tangs

lovehatejon

yeah? are the products you listed good stuff? well if i go get the flame ill be sure to pick me up some of that lol, thanks.
and i have a FOWLR so im not really worried about the whole coral thing.

meowzer

Even if you don't get the flame, you should get some of those foods for the other fish, eating flakes is like living off of potato chips
and YES the stuff I listed is good....I use all of it....LOL...I wouldn't use it or recommend it if it wasn't any good

lovehatejon

ohh, without a doubt. the last comment was in reference to today. but im going to pick that stuff up for sure.
and true lol.

mr.clownfish

my flame angel is one of my most favorite fish i have in my tank! it really is an amazing fish! its colors are real nice too. sometimes they can be aggressive but mine is really nice. it chases my persudochromis sometimes but it doesnt really do any damage. and mine dosent nip at coral.

srfisher17

I agree completely with Meowzer; flake food as a staple should be restricted to goldfish---even for herbivores. Flames are omnivores and will graze a lot, but need meaty foods as well. Fish that graze on algae on the reef also get a lot of small crustaceans, etc., with their algae and need this stuff in captivity. Flames are gorgeous, rather easy fish (IMO&IME). The #1 requirement for success with them, and others of the same genus, is plenty of mature LR and a good variety of food and vitamins (like Selcon). Again, IMO&IME.
BTW; is your profile current? I think a 72 gal tank is way too small for those two tangs. The Vlamingii gets huge (24") and the Hippo, 12" or so. They really need more than 48" of swimming room.

lovehatejon

srfisher,
actually the tangs arent going to stay in the 72 for long..
they atcually belong to my marine bio teacher.
being that im the only one with a big size tank she know she asked me to hold on to them for summer since she wont be there.

srfisher17

Good plan. If you are looking at fish for smaller your tank after the tangs leave; you may want to wait with the Flame Angel. Depending on tankmates, they can be quite bossy and often fit in better when they are introduced last.

srgvigil

Srfisher is correct, Flame Angels can become quite bossy and are best introduced last. I've experienced this with both of the Angels I've had. They're quite easy to take care of IMO just be sure to have caves and nooks and crannies in your live rock as they love to swim in between them (IME). Just be sure that you only have one angel in your tank though. You may feel like you will be one of the lucky few who can keep two angels but the odds are against you.

lovehatejon

Meowzer,
I got the frozen mysis and the marine cuisine you talked about. Those guys love it! I should have discovered this stuff sooner! lol.

meowzer

Originally Posted by LoveHateJon
http:///forum/post/3275315
Meowzer,
I got the frozen mysis and the marine cuisine you talked about. Those guys love it! I should have discovered this stuff sooner! lol.
YAYYYYY...LOL....and it is sooooo much better for them then the flakes