Does anyone use those fill your own jug for water?

lil.guppy

So I finally found a "Glacier" fill your own jug thing inside my grocery store and I read on the front and sure enough I saw RO listed on the other things that they do to process the water.
So I called the company and she said there are no prosphates or silicones in the water but they dont recomend it for aquariums and I asked why......she had to put me on hold........................"Oh mam its because there is too low of a level of minerals in the water"
So I am thinking..........isnt that what we want is low or no minerals?
Would this water be ok to use until I can get an RO/DI unit?
Its great becuase I can fill a 5 gallon jug for 1.30!!!!

lonelytree

I am going to use it for my water changes. I use natural spring water out of the ground for major fills. Luckily There is a natural spring watering trough just down the road from me. It test good and the best thing it is free. It also is high in calcium. I wish I could get 5 gallons for $1.30 . It cost us I think $2.73 for 6 gallons. But I am very new at this and would recommend more research before using it in your tank. Everyones tanks are different.

howardj

I use an RO water machine at the grocery store.. works fine.. been using it for 1yr 1/2+
10, 12, ans 29 gallon Reefs

kube

i use to right out of the culligan machine at walmart before i got my own rodi system, i would just buy your own system i paid 105 shipped for mine so it doesn't take long to pay for its self

robertmathern

Just be careful with those machines. If they are not properly maintained they can be worse than tap water. And to be honest I have never seen anyone service them. But its not like I stand there to see.

nitschke65

Originally Posted by robertmathern
http:///forum/post/2925400
Just be careful with those machines. If they are not properly maintained they can be worse than tap water. And to be honest I have never seen anyone service them. But its not like I stand there to see.
I couldn't agree more. The price is right, but I've tested some water from places near my home and have not been impressed. The city water we're all using comes out of my faucet at between 160-190 tds. The water that goes through my RO/DI is <15. "Wal-water" and local grocery water have both been <30 at times, but have also been well over 150. If you're going to a stores "RO" dispenser, I'd suggest buying a meter so you can check the quality yourself. I found my meter at a local Ace hardware store in the water filter section. It was only $25.

pezenfuego

I used to use them and was just fine. The only reason I got an ro/di was to save money and trips back and forth. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution though, it is pitb in my opinion. It probably says that it is not recommended for aquariums because they are thinking of freshwater aquariums and the low mineral content would make the pH off...but you are dumping tons of a mineral into it (salt). I mean the water I use is mineral free

robertmathern

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2925407
I couldn't agree more. The price is right, but I've tested some water from places near my home and have not been impressed. The city water we're all using comes out of my faucet at between 160-190 tds. The water that goes through my RO/DI is <15. "Wal-water" and local grocery water have both been <30 at times, but have also been well over 150. If you're going to a stores "RO" dispenser, I'd suggest buying a meter so you can check the quality yourself. I found my meter at a local Ace hardware store in the water filter section. It was only $25.
Ace hardware here I come lol

patriot54

Originally Posted by robertmathern
http:///forum/post/2925400
+1. Also when they do service them they use bad chemicals that you don't want in your tank to clean them out.

kube

I lucked out, i used the Walmart machine for a year and never tested it just took there word and the once every two month intials on the sheat that it had said it was tested and maintaned. When I bough my RO|DI system and TDS meter, every where I had gotten water at I went and got one more gallon. Here were the results
LFS #1 Claimed RODI = 0 TDS
LFS #2 Claimed RODI = 0 TDS
Walmart Culligan Machine Claimed just RO = 4 TDS
Not bad

robertmathern

Originally Posted by Kube
http:///forum/post/2925958
I lucked out, i used the Walmart machine for a year and never tested it just took there word and the once every two month intials on the sheat that it had said it was tested and maintaned. When I bough my RO|DI system and TDS meter, every where I had gotten water at I went and got one more gallon. Here were the results
LFS #1 Claimed RODI = 0 TDS
LFS #2 Claimed RODI = 0 TDS
Walmart Culligan Machine Claimed just RO = 4 TDS
Not bad

Yeah not bad there. But deffently if you are going to get it there get a tds meter. For the most part there great to use. Just never hurts to be sure its as good as it says it is. Because alot of people will do it blindly and not see a problem and assume its good. But the problem will not show overnight and when it dose its to late.

shyfish

My Pet store has RO water for almost the same price as Wal-mart. I have used wal-marts with no problems.
Q: My pet store is offering water premixed to whatever salinity you want. I am not sure if I want to trust them that far. Anyone else use premixed water from pet stores?

lil.guppy

What all do those TDS meters look for. I called Ace and they did not have such a thing so I called Lowes and they had two, both of them tested for
copper, clorine, ph, nitrate, nitrites, and stuff but he said it did not test for anything else that he knew of