does halimeda algae use alkalinity?

snakeblitz33

It is a calcareous macroalgae - so would it use alkalinity to make it's structures? anyone know how much or what effect it has on any other parameters?
Does macroalgae in general use any alkalinity?

geoj

You can see in this pic that the majority of halimeda is a mix of carbonates. It is easy to keep as long as you maintain calcium and alkalinity. The only issue is if you damage a lot of it or the algae dies off all at one time triggering a spawning. This large spawning can kill fish and possibly other animals. You can not pune it with out having it die back becuase it lacks individual cells.

reefkprz

it sure does use alk. it tends to consume more calcium but it uses alk as well. its sturcture if you believe it is primnarily plant made oolitic sand when it dies off or spawns the plant matter rots away and leaves a deposit of oolitic sand. this plant is actually responsible or rather large deposits of oolitic snad around some reefs.

snakeblitz33

Thats neat. Thanks for the info!
Believe it or not, i have coralline algae encrusting all over my dead pieces of halimeda algae. Lol

bang guy

I've heard that 50% of the sand in the Caribbean is from Halimeda, 10% from Calcium carbonate precipitation, and the rest from Parrotfish chewing up coral.

reefkprz

I had heard that too bang I just wasn't sure on the percentages since it had been so long since I read the information, but I did know a signifigant amount of the sand was created by the halimeda.

snakeblitz33

Seriously though, thank you for pointing it out. I will read it soon.
Ive just been busy with work and my daughter. Shes had to be hospitalized for the last five days.

snakeblitz33

She had a uti with a kidney infection that was getting bad. Fever and everything. She also had thrush from the antibiotics which is basically like strep throat that they are treating. She is doing much better today.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391847/does-halimeda-algae-use-alkalinity#post_3477664
She had a uti with a kidney infection that was getting bad. Fever and everything. She also had thrush from the antibiotics which is basically like strep throat that they are treating. She is doing much better today.
Poor thing!! My first daughter had thrush right after she was born and it made breastfeeding very difficult (for the wife too, they kept cross-contaminating each other) Hope she gets all better soon.