Does old tank syndrome exist?

snakeblitz33

Does old tank syndrome really exist? Is it a condition which is brought on by aquarist error, equipment going bad, not enough nutrient export, or perhaps even microfauna populations decreasing? What makes a new tank a new tank and a mature tank a mature tank? What forces decide that a mature tank is now an "old" tank? If there is such a thing as old tank syndrome, how does one avoid it? Discuss...
Here are my thoughts:
New tanks - 0 to 1 years old. The tank is still going through mini-cycles and you are still adding livestock and taking away. Microfauna and flora are building up and reproducing and has not quite yet reached it's peak.
Mature tanks - 1 to 10 years old. The tank is no longer going through mini-cycles and everything stays stable and constant. You are no longer adding fish or taking away inverts. Everything seems content and happy without your intervention what-so-ever. Some corals may die and others may thrive, depending on how your tank "settles in." Just as with some corals dying and some thriving, the same thing happens on a micro-scale. Microfauna and flora have gotten used to your tanks conditions. Some have died away and others have thrived.
Old tanks
- 10+ years old. While these tanks have been set up and ran for more than a decade, the basics of it has still stayed the same. Some equipment has been replaced, other equipment added. The corals propagate very well and grow like no other. The routine maintenance on these tanks is down to a science. Microfauna populations adjust to the needs of the tank very easily, and can respond quickly if something goes wrong. However, when a tank is so used to the common every day things, when it comes across a problem, it may react to it differently than if it were a new tank or a mature tank.
How do you avoid old tank syndrome? I'm going to answer this in list form:
1. Add a cup of live sand from another aquarists tank to introduce new microfauna and flora into your tank.
2. Add a new coral with a piece of live rock to introduce new critters to the tank.
3. Stir the shallow sandbed a little by adding nassarius snails.
4. Re-stock your clean up crew with different and varying types of snails, hermits, astrina stars, algaes, worms, sponges, etc.
5. Take care of your equipment. Replace parts that need to be replaced. Soak some in vinegar and clean, clean, clean. Replace burnt out equipment, or faulty equipment. Make sure everything works properly and is safe, basically.
So, what are your opinions? Is there such a thing? How do you avoid it?

geoj

Does old tank syndrome really exist? Yes
How do you avoid old tank syndrome? Breakdown and Clean your tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389024/does-old-tank-syndrome-exist#post_3434844
Does old tank syndrome really exist? Is it a condition which is brought on by aquarist error, equipment going bad, not enough nutrient export, or perhaps even microfauna populations decreasing? What makes a new tank a new tank and a mature tank a mature tank? What forces decide that a mature tank is now an "old" tank? If there is such a thing as old tank syndrome, how does one avoid it? Discuss...
Here are my thoughts:
New tanks - 0 to 1 years old. The tank is still going through mini-cycles and you are still adding livestock and taking away. Microfauna and flora are building up and reproducing and has not quite yet reached it's peak.
Mature tanks
- 1 to 10 years old. The tank is no longer going through mini-cycles and everything stays stable and constant. You are no longer adding fish or taking away inverts. Everything seems content and happy without your intervention what-so-ever. Some corals may die and others may thrive, depending on how your tank "settles in." Just as with some corals dying and some thriving, the same thing happens on a micro-scale. Microfauna and flora have gotten used to your tanks conditions. Some have died away and others have thrived.
Old tanks
- 10+ years old. While these tanks have been set up and ran for more than a decade, the basics of it has still stayed the same. Some equipment has been replaced, other equipment added. The corals propagate very well and grow like no other. The routine maintenance on these tanks is down to a science. Microfauna populations adjust to the needs of the tank very easily, and can respond quickly if something goes wrong. However, when a tank is so used to the common every day things, when it comes across a problem, it may react to it differently than if it were a new tank or a mature tank.
How do you avoid old tank syndrome? I'm going to answer this in list form:
1. Add a cup of live sand from another aquarists tank to introduce new microfauna and flora into your tank.
2. Add a new coral with a piece of live rock to introduce new critters to the tank.
3. Stir the shallow sandbed a little by adding nassarius snails.
4. Re-stock your clean up crew with different and varying types of snails, hermits, astrina stars, algaes, worms, sponges, etc.
5. Take care of your equipment. Replace parts that need to be replaced. Soak some in vinegar and clean, clean, clean. Replace burnt out equipment, or faulty equipment. Make sure everything works properly and is safe, basically.
So, what are your opinions? Is there such a thing? How do you avoid it?
My tank is not 10+ years old...per say. I started the tank sometime in 2000... I have moved over the years and had to break the Reef tank down 3Xs. However I do, and or have done numbers 2..4...and LOL, everyone has to do #5 at one time or another

1guydude

yes it exsists imo....
Ive read of tanks having phosphate problems later down the road becuase their LR or LS soaked up all the phosphates over the yrs.
U would simply have to break down and start over i think...i cant remember how this person fixed his problem but u can read it on beananimal!

snakeblitz33

Well, yes, phosphate is leached into the live rock over time, and it can start coming out and you will always have phosphate problems if the live rock is allowed to soak in it.
Since running an algae scrubber on a couple of systems, I've noticed excess phosphate being leached OUT OF the live rock. You can also find that information on one of SantaMonicas threads on the scrubber site. :D

florida joe

Can you give an example of this?
However, when a tank is so used to the common every day things, when it comes across a problem, it may react to it differently than if it were a new tank or a mature tank.

snakeblitz33

Sure. Like switching between a synthetic salt that the tank is used to, to a natural salt or vice versa... which may have more or less of one ingredient than another which can kill some microbes/fauna and cause others to populate. It may even cause a tank crash in the process.

florida joe

I don’t think that there has ever been any documentation of a tank crash attributed to changing a top grade salt mix. Also is there just as equal a chance when a change is made that the results are positive

zeke92

I'm not sure I entirely understand this, but wouldn't you just be able to slowly change out the rock for "fresh" rock over time if this becomes a problem, and the same with sand?

snakeblitz33

Florida Joe... How old is your tank and how long have you been using the same salt? Switch it and document the results. I'm curious to know. :D

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/389024/does-old-tank-syndrome-exist#post_3435387
Florida Joe... How old is your tank and how long have you been using the same salt? Switch it and document the results. I'm curious to know. :D
Actually that situation is accruing right now. My tank has been up and running for over ten years. I would guess I have been using reef crystals for the last eight years. As of approximately the last month I have been using aqua vitro salinity. While I feel it is too soon to see any large scale improvement in coral (as the term old tank syndrome refers to healthy coral growth). I certainly have not seen any degrading of my tank with the new salt.