Does this puffer look ok?

canman

This is a dogface puffer and he is about 6" long. I have had him for a while but noticed today that he looks very splochy looking. He always has layed on the bottom a lot but his color looks different. Is this normal for the dogface? My par. look good so i don't know.

majormaz

He's lost a tremendous amount of color, and laying on the bottom of the tank is not a good sign; is the puffer breathing hard?
If I were you I would put him in quarantine right away, until his condition improves.

canman

He isn't breathing hard and I thought puffers always laid on the bottom sometimes. He's not down there all the time just some. I don't have a qt its just weird b/c the param are good and all my other fish are fine. He's acting like he usually does just looks pale.

texasmetal

Post your current water parameters.
How long have you owned it?
What other fish are in the tank?
What do you feed it?

canman

My trites-0
ammonia-0
p.h.-8.2
that is all i ever check w/ a fowlr tank. I feed him frozen and freeze dried krill as well as some spectrum pellets. I have owned him for about 1.5 years and his tankmates are a niger,humahuma,panther grouper,domino damsel,and a large maroon clown and all have been in the tank together for about 1 yr, and get along good.

R

rcreations

You should check for nitrates too. You don't want it getting out of control.

kellenr

EDIT: Ok, ya big babies. Jeez, some people treat this forum like it's their 'job' and they're the supervisor. Lighten up a bit.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2690162
Lol.
I don't know, does this fish look ok?

Is that necessary at all???
Post your nitrate readings, along with your Sg, and temp. What sized tank is this? Has he eaten anything, besides the normal diet, lately?

kellenr

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2690163
Is that necessary at all???
Post your nitrate readings, along with your Sg, and temp. What sized tank is this? Has he eaten anything, besides the normal diet, lately?
I'm sorry
, Its just what came to mind. No pun intended Canman, just wanted to bring out the lighter side of things, maybe give ya a laugh.

aw2x3

Originally Posted by KellenR
http:///forum/post/2690171
I'm sorry
, Its just what came to mind. No pun intended Canman, just wanted to bring out the lighter side of things, maybe give ya a laugh.
I don't see how that would bring out the "lighter side of things", especially when someone is concerned about a fish they've had for at least 18 months. Sorry...
The coloration isn't that big of a concern, IMHO. It's not uncommon for them to change color/pattern, etc...a little, anyway.
Nitrates are a big thing, in this hobby. Sure, fish can adapt and survive in high nitrates, but it's not healthy for them. I'm with everyone else...check those specs immediately and adjust accordingly. Anything over 20 ppm is something that needs to be addressed immediately, in a FOWLR tank...again, my opinion.
As long as he's still eating and swimming, then that's a good sign...but it doesn't mean he's 100% healthy.