Dragon Moray

myerst22

Hello i am looking for information about the Japanese Dragon Moray. What are the differences between Hawaiian and Japanese varietes? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim

95harley

Attached is a pic I found somewhere that I assumed are a Hawaiian (right)and Jap (left).
But I got a response from another crew from another site saying that color variations from Males, Females, Japs, and Hawaiians can vary so greatly that there is no real trend.
But most believe Japs are more red with large white sports while the Hawaiians are more orange and slightly washed out on the body.
I've also heard that females are less colored than males, but not sure how true this is.
Hope this helps.

95harley

Here is the quote I was sent.
<This is all the same species Enchelycore pardalis, which occurs in the entire area from the Comoros and Reunion to Hawaii including Taiwan, Korea, Japan and New Caledonia. There is some variability in the coloration, but color morphs are not restricted to specific areas (imagine how far the pelagic larvae are spread during their months of travel before becoming quite stationary eels). Sometimes the Japanese specimens have more white and red, larger spots and more contrasting colors, but such specimens may also occur in other areas, like Johnston island (see fishbase) or Kona. The Hawaiian ones regularly may have more orange and less contrast but I have seen absolutely comparable ones from Taiwan and Southern Japan. Have a look at fishbase or flickr for dragon morays/Enchelycore ramosa. The people publishing there have often noted where the eels were photographed, and in contrast to the fish trader had no reason to lie. There is no scientifically proven way to differentiate a Japanese E. pardalis from a Hawaiian E. pardalis. The same can be said about the gender of these eels, although claims exist about differences in colour and morphology, the definite proof for sexing them is lacking.>