During Hydrosalinty period..... Biowheel usable?

Beth or anyone..... :help:
Penguin 330 with two biowheels in Q set up.
Suppose anything goes wrong with a fish and I put them in Q tank to perform hydrosalinty WITHOUT any medicine..... Leave Biowheel alone? Any complication except with unexcept bacteria foul ups in Biowheel because of hydrosalinty?
I do know that Biowheels are to be remove during medication.... Buy hydrosalinty? :thinking:

elfdoctors

Your biowheels are probably fine in HYPOsalinity (I'm not sure what hydrosalinity is). In fact they may help a hospital tank get established and prevent ammonia or nitrites from building up. Bacteria seem to be able to tolerate hyposalinity fairly well (certainly better than invertebrates).
I agree that biowheels would need to be removed if you are using medications.

seaguru

From my experience with Effective, successful Hyposalinity treatements, your bacteria bed wherever it may exist (i.e. in your bio-wheel, substrate, even live rock) will NOT be affected.
BUT, be advised that HYPO at the correct salinity (i.e. at or below 1.010) will kill all inverts, pods, worms etc. in your live rock or substrate for those thinking of doing it on their main tanks and not setting up a separate Q tank...
I did my main tank but removed all the inverts I could find and my limited quantity of live rock. AND note that I still run a sump with bio-balls so removing my live rock did not impact my Nitrogen cycle (waste processing)...
One has to put some thought into Hypo prior to execution! but... it is 100% safe and effective if done properly... (i.e. with refractometer, buffering the pH, etc.)
Good luck!