dwarf fuzzy lion

anthropo

So in the city of syracuse of which i live, there are 2 major places to buy saltwater fish. Store A which has been around forever and sells his fish at higher prices because he can, and then Store B which just opened up maybe a year ago and the prices at store B have always been way better than Store A's. i've been around this hobby for at least 8 years so i know what the going rate is for a lot of fish. I walked into store B lookin for some meds and saw this dwarf fuzzy lion and then i saw the price....$50. Completely floored me, so i say to the owner "i'll give you $35 for that fish even though you and i know it's only worth $30 ." He tells me that theres no way he'd do that and that he had 2 people call on it earlier today. i said, u know i know that fish has been here for over a month and it's because of the price. he goes that's the going rate for that fish and it's eating mysis shrimp. i said those fish aren't worth more than 30 and they're not picky eaters, you can see it on any website too that you go to online. he's like well good luck buyin it and then payin 30 dollars shipping. I was like ok but your gonna have that fish for a while.
I left and then went to Fish store A and wouldn't ya know it.....2 fuzzy dwarf lions for $29.99, so i took a picture of the price tag and texted it to the owner of store B and said you just lost my business. I've noticed lately everytime i go in there too that he finds some fish that's nothing spectacular and puts the word "rare" and then marks it up. A month ago i saw him selling a pair of maroon clowns for $100 which is outrageous. i just wanted to share that cause it felt good haha.

R

rcreations

He's got a point though. You buy that $30 fish online, add to that another $30 for shipping (at least) and that becomes a $60+ fish.
We have 2 stores in Columbus too. One always charges more for their fish, but hey it's their store, they can charge whatever they want. They're been in business forever so they must be making money. Who am I to tell them what to charge? Usually if I don't like the price, I just don't buy whatever it is.

srfisher17

Just the fact that store A has the lion eating frozen is worth something and I assume he's doing something right---if he's been in business that long. I hope store B isn't a *****-type.

anthropo

there's a difference between charging whatever they want and making money and gouging people for prices. he may have a point as far as the shipping, but it's a 30 dollar fish in stores everywhere too. you two sound like store owners. i could understand charging at most 35 but that's as far as it should've gone. imagine paying 25 for a damsel....

asharp13

anthro-
first off, i can see overcharging...the economy is in the crapper and im sure people cut out their SWF luxuries before putting food on the table. also, some idiots dont do their homework and will pay that much for a FDL.
but in your defense, i feel where you are comming from and just stick to your guns homie. personally i know RBTA retail for 100-150 but i just talked a guy at my LFS into giving me one for 9.99!!!!! keep huntin and making this expensive hobby affordable!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

rbrockm1

if i can find it cheaper somewhere else then i buy it. but if i know that a particular fish store takes care of their fish and handles them well and takes that extra step to ensure the fishes life instead of the deathCO way of doing then i will buy from them cause they treat the fish better. i don't mind spending that extra buck to make sure the fish where captured right and what not. there is such a store in augusta, GA. its called star aquatics and you should stop buy. they quarantine their fish before they stick them out for sell. the best store i have found yet.