easiest corals to start with?

fishead

i just started my tank 55gal 3 weeks ago. have good supply of live rock, 3 damsals, and 2 candy anemanes.want to add coral. whats hardiest types?

josh

Hi,
Ok let's see... your tank is only 3 weeks old and you already have 2 anemones? I am not one to give floks a hard time so I will just give some advice. Get the anemones out and return them to the store for credit. These guys require extermely stable environments and good lighting and aren't recommended for a newbie for sure. Also, I am fairly condifent it was the LFS who said it would be a good idea, most new people fall prey to sales people who are just out to make a buck.
As for the corals, chances are you tank isn't even cycled yet... what are the readings? I wouldn't recommend you do anything besides return the condys till your tank gets more established, talking months here. Mushrooms are very hardy and very adaptive, you could get some of them, but I would wait a month or two before adding much of anything. What type of lighting are you using?
This hobby requires emmense patience and even more knowledge, you are off to a good start by getting on this BB.... just slow down and learn everything you can.
Feel free to ask any questions that you might have, everybody on here loves to help out a new person!
-Josh-

tru conch

i would wait at least two months before adding coral, and make sure that you have strong enough lighting.
but some of the easier corals are the soft corals, mushrooms, leathers and colts.
hard corals require more stable conditions.
do some research first though, it will save you lots of money and head/heartaches.

reef-addict

I completely agree with JOSH, you need to try and cut your losses and take those anenomes back to the store.
Welcome to the World of the Salt Water Tank, where the key ingredient to your tank is TIME.
Believe me, you don't wanna try and jump the gun on adding stuff that looks cool, just sit back and wait for a couple of months. The best thing you can do is go to your local store with a pad and paper and just start brainstorming about what you want. The other good thing to do is read as much as you possibly can about tank care.
As far as which coral is a good hardy starter, my vote is with MUSHROOMs, good luck man.

fishead

Originally posted by josh:
<strong>Hi,
Ok let's see... your tank is only 3 weeks old and you already have 2 anemones? I am not one to give floks a hard time so I will just give some advice. Get the anemones out and return them to the store for credit. These guys require extermely stable environments and good lighting and aren't recommended for a newbie for sure. Also, I am fairly condifent it was the LFS who said it would be a good idea, most new people fall prey to sales people who are just out to make a buck.
As for the corals, chances are you tank isn't even cycled yet... what are the readings? I wouldn't recommend you do anything besides return the condys till your tank gets more established, talking months here. Mushrooms are very hardy and very adaptive, you could get some of them, but I would wait a month or two before adding much of anything. What type of lighting are you using?
This hobby requires emmense patience and even more knowledge, you are off to a good start by getting on this BB.... just slow down and learn everything you can.
Feel free to ask any questions that you might have, everybody on here loves to help out a new person!
-Josh-</strong><hr></blockquote>

fishead

<strong>Hi,
ive got a 40 watt blue a 40 watt white 4feet long (its what the store said i need to do small reef)

josh

Hi again,
***disclaimer*** :)
Ok no one give me a hard time on this one just trying to make it simple, there is lots of time for fish to learn about lumens and PAR and all that jazz.
So you have 80 watts on a 55 gall tank. Most folks like to get atleast 3watt/gall to keep most soft corals. With those lights you could probably keep some shrooms, maybe someone will chime in that has kept them at that light level. As I mentioned, I would even worry about the corals as of yet, give it a month or two to stablize.... in the mean time do a search on lighting and start reading. There is a LOT to learn on this topic....
Have you seen any corals that you liked and thought you might like to keep in the future? If so, I am sure we could give you some specific info on these guys to help you make a plan. :)
Got another question for ya, how much Live Rock do you have in the tank? Once again a rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs/gallon... this can be added down the road but the rock acts like a filter so you won't need any external filtration. Ok, just one more... what type of substrate are you using? Sand, crushed coral? Anyway, sorry for the 20 questions, just tyring to help you avoid the mistakes I made when I first started... I am sure many folks can relate to that :)
-Josh-

fishead

<strong>Hi again,
***disclaimer*** :)
Ok no one give me a hard time on this one just trying to make it simple, there is lots of time for fish to learn about lumens and PAR and all that jazz.
So you have 80 watts on a 55 gall tank. Most folks like to get atleast 3watt/gall to keep most soft corals. With those lights you could probably keep some shrooms, maybe someone will chime in that has kept them at that light level. As I mentioned, I would even worry about the corals as of yet, give it a month or two to stablize.... in the mean time do a search on lighting and start reading. There is a LOT to learn on this topic....
Have you seen any corals that you liked and thought you might like to keep in the future? If so, I am sure we could give you some specific info on these guys to help you make a plan. :)
Got another question for ya, how much Live Rock do you have in the tank? Once again a rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs/gallon... this can be added down the road but the rock acts like a filter so you won't need any external filtration. Ok, just one more... what type of substrate are you using? Sand, crushed coral? Anyway, sorry for the 20 questions, just tyring to help you avoid the mistakes I made when I first started... I am sure many folks can relate to that :)
i have 30lbs live rock, 5lbs live sand (dont really want thick sand bed)using Greatlife Systems protein skimmer and a Penguin 150 gph bio wheel filter w/charcoal. want to keep it simple. gonna add 40 more watts light. Wife really wants a cowfish looking for corals that wouldnt be destroyed by it. have 2 powerheads in tank for flow. nitrate level coming down. temp seems a little high 80f. have a big brown algea problem. Thanks for the tips.

jakob4001

you really should have at least 4" sand bed; possibly add 20 lb bag of LS; will help cycle tank faster & has beneficial inverts/bacteria in it; yes, will need more lighting though; more LR would probably be good too; however, depending on who you ask/believe, you may not want to keep the charcoal-filled cartridge/media bag constanly in the filter; charcoal will remove some beneficial minerals/elements for a reef tank & chemicals you'll supplement your reef tank w/...STRONGLY advise against keeping a cowfish or any boxfish...why have the worry; now there are some people who have no problems w/ them; most of those probably do not have them in a reef set up though; you probably should wait at least until your diatom bloom is mostly passed or under control before adding corals;possiby aquire a "cleaner pack" of some kind; SWF.com has GREAT package

kelly

Josh,
Does this mean the I have to upgrade my lighting again? I though we went over the WPG thing a while back... Since our last friendly discussion I set up 2 more tanks, a 7 gal bowfront with 4+ WGP(PC lighting) and a 20 gal long tank which will have 4 WPG(4 20W fluorescents). The nano went up Jan 2nd and the 20 gal long Feb 26.
I want to do some farming, coral farming that is, what do you recommend for fragging? Xenias, Mushrooms, Yellow Polyps, Star Coral? I am looking at about 40+ 1lb rocks to start with and want to start with soft coral then upgrade lighting or another tank and possibly do SPS.
Thanks

josh

Hey Kelly,
Ha, I knew you would chime in on the watt/gall thing. I don't agree with it fully, but it is a good place to start with... I didn't want to overwhealm fish with the LUX, Lumens, PAR biz .. just yet :)
As for fraggin softies, my xenia grows like weeds... I bought three stalks 2 months ago and now I have over 13 stalks!!! Great money maker. GSP are also easy to frag, just slice and dice. Let's see, I have fragged my finger leather a few times, it was very easy. But as for money makers, xenia is the way to go, one of my LFS gives my 10 bucks for each stalk, it's like taking candy from a baby!!!!! As for the SPS breeder tank, I couldn't tell you too much bout that being I only keep softies and LSP. But I would imagine Halides are in your future. . . and BTW I still have my CC substrate, still haven't bought into the DSB yet, I will wait a few years and then see how the long term success rate is.
-Josh-

car guy

alright josh, lets put it this way, anemones don't need light (the lots of light or anmeone dies is a myth) , condylactis are hardy and probably won't die, and as long the water conditions are ideal and amonia and nitrite have spiked and dropped he can go with corals, and at 1.5 wpg he can go with various shrooms, no soft or leathers yet and stuff like tubestrea is a great low light coral, oh yeah, by the way josh, watch what you say about lfs employes, or big dave and i'll be talking to you

kelly

Thanks Josh!!!
What are GSPs, Green Star Polyps? I don't have a problem slicing and dicing, I am pretty handy in the kitchen. In my nano, I have about a 2" sand bed, and in the 20 a 4" DSB, the main tank is still CC. I have a few stalks of Xenia, I guess that is where I will start.
What supplements are you using, I currently use Kent's PhytoPlankton, and Reef Solution.
Thanks again

josh

Car guy,
Ok if we are nit picking, I said he could keep shrooms just not till the tank is completely cycled... it's only 3 weeks old. Which is why I advised him to return the condys as well. I KNOW you can keep anemomes under lower light, some anyways... my point was that the tank was very very young still and probably not even cycled yet. I don't claim to know anymore than other folks on here, just trying to help the guy out.
and as for the LFS employees, I know some are knowledgeable ( as I am sure you and "big dave" are ) but some aren't and just like to sell fish ect, but whoever recommends putting 2 condy's and fish into a tank that is just setup obviously dosen't know his or her saltwater systems. But I will keep that bit of "watch what you say" in mind.. thanks for the input. instead of trying to berate others.... oh forget it, we are all entitled to our opinions which is why this board is so helpful.
-Josh-

kelly

Car Guy,
With your statement "anemones don't need light (the lots of light or anmeone dies is a myth)", you are opening your self up for a lot of condemnation. Anenomes use symbiotic algae for food, in addition the also will eat meaty things like fish, crabs, shrimp, etc.
For the most part, anenomes need good lighting to be healthy. Yes if fed well some can live in little or no light. It is not recommended, not best for the anenome.
For the statement "and at 1.5 wpg he can go with various shrooms, no soft or leathers yet". I have leathers and other soft corals in addition to mushroom that are doing well with 1.5 WPG. Check out GARF.ORG, on most of their tanks they use 3 40W fluorescent bulbs on a 55 gallon tank and have excellent results. Well a 75 or 80 gal. tank with those bulbs would be about 1.5 WPG, and the only difference would be width.
I am not advocating low lighting, just stating that you can have softies in 1.5 to 2 WPG. Josh and I discussed this before.

josh

Hey there again Kelly,
Yup GSP are green star polyps... :)
As far as supplements I don't do too much besides monthly water changes and dripping kalk from time to time. I target feed with photplex twice a week with a multi purpose turkey baster! Sounds like you are well on the way to a money maker :) How's the nano coming along? Are you finding it hard to maintain stability with such a small system? I have often thought about getting one for my office, but just haven't done it yet... got any pix? Anyway, good luck!
-Josh-

josh

Kelly :)
I've been to GARF and seen the tanks, still can't get over how nice the corals are under such low lighting! Must be magic or something, leathers are very adaptive, I don't know what the cut off would be for low lighting in relation to them...shrooms would be fine if thrown out in the street :) gotta love them.
Love Car Guy's sig... heroin addicted body... what is that all bout? is that something people should be advocating? off the soapbox before big dave kicks me off it. :) just messin with you car guy, don't get all huffy and puffy. :)
-Josh-

kelly

Josh,
Nothing in the nano yet. I tried cycling it with silversides, it has been 8 weeks and no signs of a cycle. I bought a small humbug damsel to cycle it with last week, and two days ago, I could not find it. It got sucked into the intake tube of the filter.
I love the look of the tank. I put in 32W PC retrofit lighting. I am really anxious to get some corals growing in it. I have seen some nice nanos on Nano-Reefs.com. I hope not to have any problems, I will put up some pics when I get something in it besides bare rock, sand and caulerpa. I know there should be no caulerpa in it, it will take over, it should be going to the LFS shortly.
I hope to get some LS for the 20 in the next day or so. I put in a maxi-jet 1200 in the 20, way to much current, I will have 2 go with 2 smaller ones.
Take care, and I am glad you found someone else to fight, I mean debate with...

von_rahvin

green star are great to startoff with, I think my next was some mushrooms, then ummmmm i think, heck i don't know anymore. TOO MANY CORALS!!!! I lied you can never have to many