Eel Question

a&m '96

I have a 65 gallon FOWLR with a huma and porky puffer. I am looking for one more fish, and I'm considering a small moray (snowflake?). Anyway, I keep hearing about eels escaping. My tank is very secure, but I do have the obligatory gap around the skimmer intake/outflow. Should I really worry about this? Also, do eels compete well for food with puffers and triggers? Finally, are there any other suggestions on a tankmate for these two?

salty guy

Eels are wonderful fish. They do have a tendency to escape but if you have covers and just a small opening were your skimmer is you should not have a problem since eels shy away from strong currents.
Just be sure the eel has a good hiding spot or it will stress out.
As for feeding if you get one early and train it they will eat from your hand. I had a zebra eel in my old reef tank that would come up and eat from my hand. He would rap him self around my arm and eat krill, squid, or shrimp right from my hand. What a great fish. But you can also use a wooden, or plastic stick to put the food in front of him. Eels have very bad eye site but great smell so if you get it close they will find it.

ramey70

Eels have been known to bite and aggressively attack Aggies. The playing of the War Hymn or Noble Men of Kyle only adds to the probability of an attack.

brooklyn johnny

I had a snowflake as one of my first creatures from the time I was in middle school. The first night it got out of the tank, and I found it the following morning about 10 feet from the tank. I put it back in and it lived for almost 10 years. Regarding feeding you will have to deliver it directly whether you use your hand or tongs. The snowflake is not as aggresive as some of the other morays and I believe feeds mainly on sedentary inverts. Anyway I kept mine in a tank with many small fish with no problems. However I am SURE many other morays will eat fish, but the snowflake was okay. Also, they tend to be easier to hand feed as they are more gentle when accepting food. They're awesome though and make good conversation pieces.

von_rahvin

also thought if you want one (they rule BTW) you must realize that your ability to have shrimps has just left the building. eels main diet are shrimp and other inverst like that. just letting you know.