Electronic or Magnetic Metal Halide Ballast?

turbohaulic

So which of these is better to run. Electronic ballast or Magnetic. I had a magnetic at one time but just bought an electronic ballast. Can anyone educate me on the difference and which is the better of the two?

fallnhorse

Electronic! I had the old version of metal halides and i wont use them anymore after my incident. I worked at a tractor repair shop and we had the exact same halide ballasts on our lights at work. When i turned them on for work one morning it kicked the breaker. I flipped the breaker on at the very last light in the shop blew fire balls out 6 inches big(not sparks but balls of fire). I didn't know they could short out and blow fire balls. I later read the safety manual on halide light they are not really meant for household use. So electronic all the way.

turbohaulic

The reason I tried an electronic ballast was due to the fact that my magnetic started to stink real bad one night like a fried electronic motor smell. Then the lights shut off so I unpluged it real quick, then opened the box with the ballast in it and it was smokin pretty good.
Didn't know though if it was due to the fact it was a cheaper light. Guess its best to spend the extra to get better lights.

acrylic51

Electronic ballasts you can run whatever bulbs on them where as with magnetics you could be limited.....Energy cost wise they are suppose to be more efficient, but how much and how long it would take to see a return on your money who knows.....As far as magnetics being unsafe, well......not totally true...they have been used for years in the hobby and still are.....