Equipment for a 300 gallon?

our gang

I have ordered a 300 gallon tank and stand. Now I need the sump, pump and skimmer for it. I need suggestions on what brand, size, etc. to get for a tank this size. I don't think a mag-drive 2400 like what I have in my 180 would cut it.
I have 6 weeks before the tank and stand arrives. Any suggestions would help...

crimzy

It's hard to make any suggestions without knowing about your system's design. For instance, if you intend to keep the filtration and equipment below the tank, in the stand, then you have to tailor the sump and skimmer to fit in the space provided. You would probably only be able to keep a 90-100 gallon sump in the stand, depending on how the stand opened. If you have the display plumbed into a fish room/basement then you have a lot more options. It would be relatively inexpensive to add 200-300 gallons of filtration to your system if you have it in a separate room. And you would not have to worry about a skimmer height.
What are your plans for the design?

florida joe

Hypothetical 300gallon with average prices
1.Primary flow pump - Dolphin AMP Master S-Series - 5600/4700 extenal pump - $330 - main flow pump from 2x 40 gallon sump tanks.
2.Power head circulation pumps 4x @ $250/pump - EcoTech Marine Vortech Magnetic impeller pumps. AMAZING TECH.
3.~500 lbs of live rock - $6-10/lb - assorted Fiji, Marshall Island, Tonga live rock.
4.MH Lighting - 4x @ $125/ballast/reflector - 250W IceCap Metal Halide lamps + ballast
5.MH Lamps - ~$100 each - 2x 20k Radium Blue, 2x 10k Ushuii White
6.VHO ballasts - 2x @ ~$315/ballast - Icecap 660 VHO
7.48″ VHO lamps - 4x @ $25/lamp - super actinic (420nm), 4x @ $25/lamp AquaSun
8.Titanium Heater - ~$200
9.Auto top off and mixing system - ~$600
10.Air, Water, Ice - RO/DI - $250 + filter media
11.Assorted test / water quality / monitoring kits - ~100
12.EcoTech Marine Battery backup units - 2x @ $150/unit
Happy to see someone is helping the economy and that’s not including tank stand live stock and all the other things I am sure I left out