Eradicating whole tank , where to put corals?

shista

Hi everyone,
okay so my whole tank has a huge outbreak of strawberry anemones and they are killing all my corals, i am going to lower salinity in display tank to kill them. my one fish (clown) has ick and i am cycling my 10 gallon qt right now for him. my question is, where should i put all my corals? i was thinking of maybe buying a bucket or something with a powerhead and a heater and putting them in there for a month while my display tank eradicates and recycles? could i use rocks and water from my display tank in the 'coral' bucket so it doesnt run a cycle?
thank you

snakeblitz33

Buy a food grade container - something that is really sturdy and save your display tank water and your mechanical filtration. You should use a mechanical hang on back filter for the time being and put your old filter floss in it so that it only soft cycles. You can then put your corals in there with your fish and put a light over it. You should also pay close attention to the water parameters. More than likely you will loose a couple of corals. Definitely keep a couple of powerheads in it and a decent heater.
Good luck with the hypo treatments.

shista

thanks man... so i shouldnt mess with any live rock for the container?only filter parts? will this still cycle?

snakeblitz33

I thought your live rock was infected with strawberry anemones...
If you have any rock that isn't infected, by all means save it.

shista

ya thats what i was going to do, i was going to add a safe piece of rubble or two. will the container still cycle?. idk if i should keep all the rock in the DT and run really low salinity or take some out and dry it/boil it too

snakeblitz33

What I would do in your situation is remove the live rock from the tank that has the anemones on it, and treat it in a separate container instead of removing the livestock from the display tank. It doesn't matter that you take the live rock out of the display tank to treat it.

shista

thats what i would like to do... but i know i would be risking the anems coming back because i can see them on the glass, sand, little niches, it just seems logical to wipe out whole tank

justcindym

YIKES... can you post a picture of one so I know what to watch for. I'm a newby and just trying to read everything I can so I know what to watch for.