Ever Wonder??

bird dog

Ever Wonder where all that salt you flush ends up?
With all those buckets of water changes it has to pile up some
where.

L

lsu

I thought pouring saltwater down homedrains was ill-advised due to adverse affects on septic bacteria.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by vayapues
http:///forum/post/2495523
Please elaborate.
Salt kills just about everything it touches. What I believe is worse is your leach field and given the fact that salt never evaporates everything above it growing can die. Also most septic systems are made from concrete, salt pretty much disolves concrete. I do think that the quantity would have to be significant, but who knows over a long period of time. My waste water gets dumped in my street gutters.

big

I pour mine on the mulch around the house that I do not want weeds to grow in!!! In other words I use it as a weed killer! Just keep it away from the plants you want to live. And like already said NEVER down a drain that has a septic system..........

B

bonita69

SO THAT EXPLAINS THE CITY BACK up near my house

Just kidding. I do pour it down my house drain OOPS never though it would hurt anything! So where should I pour it out
I have city water.

bird dog

My point was to just get people to think about where all those five gal buckets of salt really end up at the end of the day. I hope nobody would pour in their septic tank.However I'm sure there are some winners out there.
I do know water is recycled and impurities are filtered out.Fertilizer is made from some waste but other products then pile up somewhere over time.Not everone has weed to kill.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2495928
SO THAT EXPLAINS THE CITY BACK up near my house

Just kidding. I do pour it down my house drain OOPS never though it would hurt anything! So where should I pour it out
I have city water.
Take it into your street and dump it into your storm drain. If you are connected to sewers then I dont think there would be any issues dumping down a drain in your house. I would just recomend running your water for a bit after you dump it.

abethedog

I just sneak it to work and dump it in the dumpters. (like the rest of my garbage, shhh don't the tell the boss.)
I have a floor drain right next to my sump in the basement (display tank upstairs). I didn't realize that going into the drain was a bad idea. Do this mean I need to put my sump out by the street? I don't want to move it again.