everythings dead am i supposed to give up

mikeyjer

Where in TN are you at? I'm located in Nashville here. I dunno which LFS you've talked to, but very bad advice!!! You still never answered on the lighting that you have. If you have insufficient lighting, you should get rid of those anemone. :happyfish

v-lioness

nicole05 - if you have Ich in your tank, do not add fish right now...... As soon as you add new fish they will also have Ich.....
I would also go with what Jacklax recommended "I'd do some water changes to clear the ammonia up. You'll want to sit tight for about 6 weeks...that'll let the ich die off. It needs fish to survive, so being fishless will starve them out. Then begin adding fish...slowly."
Kaye

sidd

I must agree and stress the point to wait six weeks to add fish. Also, keep a fish in quaranteen for four weeks after it looks healthy. Also, what type of filtration do you have? Do you use straight tap water or ro/di water? Don't over feed your fish. I feed twice a week which might be too much. What kind of bottom do you have ie; bare bottem, crushed coral, sand(how deep)? What do you use for lighting? Important, match your water change water parameters, temp, ph, salinity. That was how I killed two of my first fish. Add top off freshwater for evaporation daily. You will need to also test your iodine so your shrimp does not die. copper meds are bad for inverts, and quick cycling product are bad. I wish you the best of luck in this addiction, errrrr, I mean hobby.

symon

I was thinking that anything you use to try to hurry the cycle, can't be a good thing!
I Just had to QT my achilles tang (ICK) took almost 2 weeks to get the tank ready. Thought i was gonna loose him! He is doing much better, swimming around like the little freak he is and eating normal!
Although None of my other fish show any signs of ICK! I am Guilty of overstocking my tank as well! BAD SYMON!
But i am working on a larger tank and will keep the tang in a tank by himself for the time being!

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Symon
I was thinking that anything you use to try to hurry the cycle, can't be a good thing!
Well the key here is hurrying. Hurrying is not usually a good thing. However, products that are "used to speed up cycles" can be very beneficial at times. They provide extra biological bacteria in those crucial times that you may need it.
For example, when I transferred everything from my 75 to 210, I could not leave my 75 running, for lack of space, so everything had to be transferred the same day. I was a little worried about an ammonia spike because I was introducing more aragonite, stirring up the current sand bed in my 75, and introducing 150 lbs. of more live rock. Even though I thought it should be fully cured (as I cured it for 8 weeks), you never know. I used three bottles of Fritz-Zyme's Turbo Start, and I can attest that the levels did not move one bit. Everything survived the transfer, and nearly a year later, nothing bad came from the move.

nicole05

all those fish i named were never all together at one time all though i did have fish in there that were going to be to big for the tank eventually i got all my tangs vry small.i have florecent lights i think there 60watt not sure but the anomones have done really well so far but i know i should have mh lights but had no intention in the near future to put anything elese that needed them the anomones stay at the top of the tank near the lights.LFS only recomenned the cycle stuff for the beneficial bactria for my tank not to rush the cycle just for the health of the ones that were in there already.
mikeyjer:i live near manchester there is a little fish store there but he was not the one that gave me the orignal bad advice ex. cycle with fish ect. ect. i have come to trust this guy in manchester he has pretty much same advice as i get here not always though.have you ever been to Aquatic Critter in nashville?i went once it was nice but if you do use them hows there advice and there products?

jmick

I think what happened to you is all too common in the hobby and it’s really a shame. People jump into SW tanks having done little research and buy buy buy and don’t bother doing proper research until their tank crashes. If your anemones are still alive you should really take them back to the shop your got them at because they will die under NO lighting.
If I were in your shoes, I would not give up. That being said, I would let my tank run fallow (no fish or crustaceans) for at least 8 weeks. This will let the ich run its course and more importantly, it will allow you to get you system in check before adding more fish. I feel for you, I can’t imagine losing $500 in livestock in a month. You need to slow down and be more patient and know the needs of the animals you buy before taking them home.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by nicole05
all those fish i named were never all together at one time all though i did have fish in there that were going to be to big for the tank eventually i got all my tangs vry small.i have florecent lights i think there 60watt not sure but the anomones have done really well so far but i know i should have mh lights but had no intention in the near future to put anything elese that needed them the anomones stay at the top of the tank near the lights.LFS only recomenned the cycle stuff for the beneficial bactria for my tank not to rush the cycle just for the health of the ones that were in there already.
mikeyjer:i live near manchester there is a little fish store there but he was not the one that gave me the orignal bad advice ex. cycle with fish ect. ect. i have come to trust this guy in manchester he has pretty much same advice as i get here not always though.have you ever been to Aquatic Critter in nashville?i went once it was nice but if you do use them hows there advice and there products?
That store moved to Tullahoma now. I believe you were talking about Fins N Feathers, I think that's what it's called. Don't believe everything he says!!! He sold my friend stuffs to setup his saltwater tank, it was a BIG mistake!!! He have given him very bad advice. Aquatic Critters is a very nice store here in Nashville, I live 15min away from it. I'm there on a weekly basis. They've been there for many years and they do know what they're talking about!!! They have a wide variety of stuffs available. :happyfish

zoie2

I also heard that you don't want to put an anemone in a young tank because the water can't handle their out put. My LFS said they put out alot of waste that could crash a young tank. He said you shouldn't add one to a tank that has not been established for 6 months.
Not sure if it's true, I just started this hobby in Dec., but maybe someone else here will know if it's true.
Just another thing to think about. And DON"T GIVE UP!! Be patient, it's well worth it. I love my tank!!

nicole05

hey mikeyjer its acutally pets plus run by a man named mitch he doesnt have much but the advice sometimes seems good!!hes acutualy been there at least 5-6 years or more. does aqutic critter have a guarntee?

nicole05

hey mikeyjer its acutally pets plus run by a man named mitch he doesnt have much but the advice sometimes seems good!!hes acutualy been there at least 5-6 years or more ive not heard good things about the other they had a store in jasper and it closed a month ago.i wish i lived closer to aqutic critter i would love to go on a weekly basis.but its 2 hours away i did find a nice one in chatt. that was good not as big as nashville though!!!

mikeyjer

hey mikeyjer its acutally pets plus run by a man named mitch he doesnt have much but the advice sometimes seems good!!hes acutualy been there at least 5-6 years or more ive not heard good things about the other they had a store in jasper and it closed a month ago.i wish i lived closer to aqutic critter i would love to go on a weekly basis.but its 2 hours away i did find a nice one in chatt. that was good not as big as nashville though!!!
Are you on the other side of Manchester going hwy 55?? I'm gonna be headed to Tullahoma here shortly....Where's the pet's place at?? I didn't know about Pets Plus in Manchester. I should go visit sometime. If your so near Manchester, you're not that far from Nashville. It only takes me around 45min to get to Manchester from where I'm at and I live near by the Critters. :happyfish

nicole05

sorry it took so long i live about 35 40 minutes from manchester pets plus is on the main road that runs through man.cant remember what its called let me know the next time you come up this way and could give more specif directions is there another pet store in tull. that i dony know about????

mikeyjer

sorry it took so long i live about 35 40 minutes from manchester pets plus is on the main road that runs through man.cant remember what its called let me know the next time you come up this way and could give more specif directions is there another pet store in tull. that i dony know about????
Not that I know of. Jaws closed down, no business there. Things were way over priced. There's only that Fins N Feathers that moved from Manchester to Tullahoma. He's not the best you know..... :happyfish

milwaukeem

I am really new at this too and have learned some things the hard way as well.... But from I have been told & experienced that one of the best first fish or beginners is a Foxface Rabbit fish.... They are VERY hardy & can live through most things that other fish can't.... Just some food for thought...

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
I am really new at this too and have learned some things the hard way as well.... But from I have been told & experienced that one of the best first fish or beginners is a Foxface Rabbit fish.... They are VERY hardy & can live through most things that other fish can't.... Just some food for thought...
I would have to disagree with that. Foxface should not be considered beginners' fish. They are closely related to tangs and need proper care just like tangs.
Beginners' fish would include small fish like clowns, many gobies and blennies, damsels and chromis, hawkfish, pseudos, basslets, and other similiar species.

milwaukeem

I completely disagree.... I have never owned a tang but I do own a foxface actually the first fish I ever bought.... Of coarse just like everyone else I made mistakes when I first got my tank and it has had it fair share of issues in its early life my foxface is the only one who made it through... My clown fish dies, my koran died.... So I would have to say the Foxface is a much hardier fish than a clown...