Evil Green Algae!!!!!!!

mcintyre92

i have an algae(i think) problem
it started off small like little bits on one piece of rock
it is now growing in the sand and all over rocks
i got an ember blenny and thought it would eat the stuff but he hasnt eaten anything
im guessing it is not algae
ill describe it:
furry
green
all over some rocks and in sand
blenny wont eat it
i dont know what to do and i dont want anything bad to happen because no fish has died in 6 weeks so i am glad
thx for your comments

i<3fish

How long are the strands? I have some major algea growth and it looks like hair algea. Hopefully mt Clown Tang will eat it.

dougsback

how often do you do water changes? try more often until it gets better
what do you have for power heads? increase the flow so there are no dead spots
buying an extra power head worked for me, havent had the green hair algae for 2 months now

unleashed

although it doesnt always look appealing if its not a reef tank its not harmful. its harmful to reefs because it grow over corals and smothers them from the light .blueleg hermits tend to like this stuff and quite a few tangs .but not all tangs will eat it.my unicorn scopus and lined eye will the hippo wont i cant remember if my sailfin does or not .foxfaces and other rabbit fish will also scats will.these are the fish i have that eat it like its candy

saltfan

No turbo snails? I've got only 10 in my 135 and I haven't seen any algea since then. Along with my blue hermits.

mcintyre92

i have hermits like 15
and i have like 3 small snails the size of a quarter and a big one like the size of a face of a watch(lol weird comparison)
i didnt know that the snails ate algae
they havent really eaten any of it that i have seen
maybe i dont have the right snails
shouldnt my ember blenny eat it
could it possibly be something else????

rusting

How oldare your lights? Do you use Ro/Di water? You need more snails, they eat a lot of algae. Do 10% water change once a week, Ro/Di water. Cut back on feeding. Do a search on this site for hair algae. Hope this helps.

mcintyre92

Originally Posted by rusting
How oldare your lights? Do you use Ro/Di water? You need more snails, they eat a lot of algae. Do 10% water change once a week, Ro/Di water. Cut back on feeding. Do a search on this site for hair algae. Hope this helps.
i probably need to get new lights and am going to get snails and do a water change this weekend when i go to Giant Eagle to get water from the Water Machine
ill also search about hair algae
oh and im gonna rip a piece off of the rock when i next go to my lfs and ask him what he thinks it is it might be some bacteria stuff
thanks a bunch for all the suggestions
this site rocks!!!!