fans in hood???

dsboyd

I'm building a canopy for my 90 gallon.
I'm planning on adding a couple of 4" fans to cool.
For wiring? can you tie them into the same timer as your lights? or should they be on a seperate one?

ive never had a problem with light heat on my tank however just as general thought i would wire it seperatly with an on/off switch
after your lights go out theres still heat coming off the lights, if its wired that when the lights go off so do the fans your tank will be affected by the heat , sepertly you can have it on for however long it takes till the lights cool down

mr . salty

I have my fans plugged into the same timers as my lights,and have never noticed an increase after they go off.One comes on with my twin flo's,and the other comes on when the MH does.Then they go off accordingly.

K

krustytheclownfish

Sorry for pulling up such an old post,but I just put 2 55w PCs over my 29g in a canopy and the tank temp. increased by 4 degrees. The back of the canopy is open, but that doesn't seem like enough. It is pretty warm under the canopy. I was thinking of putting in a couple fans. Any suggestions?
Mr. Salty,
How did you wire the fans into the light timer? Are they AC or DC?
Thanks.

K

ksauerb322

Find a goodwill store, buy an old computer for 5 bucks and steal the power supply from it. Then order some cooling fans and you should have some really good cooling for under 10 bucks, I have 3 of them on my tank with a timer from Lowes.

K

krustytheclownfish

Alright, I went to my local Radio Shack and found some small fans. Some said 120 VAC. The fans had two black wires coming from them. How do I hook these two wires up? Can I just splice them into the power cord for the lights?