Feather Duster Quest reaps rewards!

rcbruce

Since I started my reef a year and a half ago, I have always been taken with feather dusters. I don't know why, can't explain it, I just love em!
I have seen pictures of colorful one's, but all I usually see in my lfs's are various patterns of the brown hawaian, of which I have 3 different pattern's, and one that is a very pale pinkish color.
Today I walked into a store in New Orleans that I have not been to in several months. After the expected goating about not coming in more often, I went to the tanks. I was shocked :eek: when I saw these two beauties in a tank. I yelled out to the owner, who yelled back, "I was wondering how long it would take you to find those worms!"
Needless to say, they are both home safe on my reef now. I guess anyone could have taken advantage of me in my stupor, but I thought $32 each was a good price.
If anyone knows the common and scientific names of these, please let me know! In the mean time, what do you think?

reefforbrains

We all have our addictions. Cant wait till the friends say- YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR A WORM!!!
Thats why we come here. Our co-workers and spouses dont understand. LOL
Awesome finds. Like them both but the Yellow one is awesome

P

pasphotography

They are Christmas Tree Feather Dusters. get some more Emerald crabs to get rid of the bubble algea.

rcbruce

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my new dusters.
Just so every one knows, I know I have bubble alge and I have emerald crabs taking care of it already!

mushroomss

i hate to be the bearer of bad news but emerald crabs will do nothing but help the bubbles spread.The bubbles spread when they are popped and the stringy mucous comes out.obvioulsly if you have emerald crabs eating and popping them they are going to grow to plague porportions.my 2 cents

rcbruce

Originally Posted by crt81
I live in New Orleans and I was wondering, which shop did you get those from?
Paradise Pet's in LaPlace. The owner's name is Steve. Tell him you were sent by his camera teacher.

crt81

Originally Posted by RCBruce
Paradise Pet's in LaPlace. The owner's name is Steve. Tell him you were sent by his camera teacher.

I live 30 minutes from there!I didn't know that Paradise Pet's sold saltwater items- I thought it was fresh water. Paradise pet's is near Airline, right.
Do they have any more of those yellow ones?
Is the shop nice- in the since of the tanks being clear and the water quality being good? I haven't ever heard of anyone going there. As I said before I didn't even know they did saltwater!

good alex

I also have feather dusters and was thinking of getting an emerald crab, do you think they would mess with feather dusters or christmas tree worms?

rcbruce

I live 30 minutes from there!I didn't know that Paradise Pet's sold saltwater items- I thought it was fresh water. Paradise pet's is near Airline, right.
Do they have any more of those yellow ones?
Is the shop nice- in the since of the tanks being clear and the water quality being good? I haven't ever heard of anyone going there. As I said before I didn't even know they did saltwater!
If your coming out of New Orleans on I-10, it would be the first LaPlace exit coming off the spillway, turn left and go about 1 1/2 miles on the left.
In my opinion he is the BEST in both quality and price. Why you think I drive all the way there when we have several lfs in Baton Rouge?

rcbruce

Originally Posted by Good Alex
I also have feather dusters and was thinking of getting an emerald crab, do you think they would mess with feather dusters or christmas tree worms?
I have 4 emerald crabs in my tank and they don't mess with any of my worms!

crt81

Originally Posted by RCBruce
If your coming out of New Orleans on I-10, it would be the first LaPlace exit coming off the spillway, turn left and go about 1 1/2 miles on the left.
In my opinion he is the BEST in both quality and price. Why you think I drive all the way there when we have several lfs in Baton Rouge?

Thanks for the directions. I will definitely go to this place this weekend!
I'm hopeing I can score as well as you did!

myreef05

Originally Posted by mushroomss
i hate to be the bearer of bad news but emerald crabs will do nothing but help the bubbles spread.The bubbles spread when they are popped and the stringy mucous comes out.obvioulsly if you have emerald crabs eating and popping them they are going to grow to plague porportions.my 2 cents
Sorry but I find that to be so far from the actual truth it is funny.
Does not make sense in theory, but they are able to eat the bubbles and NOT SPREAD the spores.

rcbruce

This was supposed to be a thread about beautiful feather dusters and the quest to get them. Suddenly I've become a magnet for bubble alge comments?

I do agree tho that crabs are the solution, not the problem.
And myreef05, you never said anything about my dusters?

rcbruce

Thanks for the directions. I will definitely go to this place this weekend!
I'm hopeing I can score as well as you did!
Make sure you tell Steve that the guy from Ritz Camera sent you. Who know's, maybe he'll cut me a deal on my next visit for referring someone!