Feed Liverock?

saltwater8

I have had 100 pounds of live rock in my tank for a month now. Its the only thing in the tank - other than sand.
Are you supposed to "feed" liverock?

120reefer

not really.. just keep calcium and phosphate at suitable number, and good water quality, good lighting, thats about it

saltwater8

I didn't think so, but then thought I remembered reading a thread that said you should feed your liverock, my question was feed it what?...LOL
A suitable number for phosphates? You mean 0?
:happyfish

tscuda

Flake fish food. If you dont have any fish in there yet just grind a lil bit with your fingers and drop it in.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by 120reefer
sorry... thats for good Coralline Algae growth.... LR doesn't necessarily need anything

That's true! You just need to feed the tank if there's no live stock to keep the bacteria alive within the rocks!!! :happyfish

moby

So you do need to feed the live rock in an empty tank?
The bacteria needs a source of food in the form of the nitrate cycle, so yes in the aquarium Very small amounts of food to "feed" the bacteria.
but you do need lights!
Only if there are critters growing on the rock that require the symbiotic algea in their tissues fed. Otherwise the rock with bacteria only does not require light.
Moby

v-lioness

Saltwater8 you can use small chunks of frozen rotifers, they come in small frozen squares, just cut small chunks off and drop it in.
Kaye