Feeding a Little Mouth

aceguitar1

Hello,
I have a green clown goby and he's a tiny little booger right now. I added him to the tank Sunday, and I can tell he's hungry. The pellets and flake I have tried seem too big for him (he takes them in, then spits them out several times). Don't worry, he has managed to get several meals since I have gotten him, including frozen food. However, I was wondering if you guys had a better technique for feeding the smaller mouthed fish in your tanks?

jaodissa

frozen food with a syringe is how I have been doing it. Today my little guy knew what was going on and almost sucked it out of the syringe lol.

aceguitar1

Haha, yeah... My clownfish has it down to a science, but the clown goby is still trying to figure things out. I'm trying to give some variety in my fish's diet though, so do you only feed frozen food to your little one? (By the way, if you don't mind me asking, what is he?)

aceguitar1

Oh nice. I'm new at this too... My clown fish can handle smaller pellets and frozen food pretty well. He struggles with the flakes sometimes though. He will actually come right up to my hand and eat the pellets out of my fingers! haha, it's pretty cool...

aceguitar1

I'm considering grinding up a pellet or two in order to get him to start eating these. However, I fear the degradation of my water quality as a result. Any suggestions anyone?

aceguitar1

Well no, it'll take to the frozen food right away (size is fine with those), but is there any food in pellet or flake form that would go well with it's diet? Or any way you've prepared yours to make it more suitable for a smaller mouth?

katsafados

I dont really feed my fish pellet or flake food. Just feed them frozen.
I also had a green clown goby, but it has dissapeared without a trace(no ammonia spikes, body parts) just like my green chromis.

katsafados

Nope, just a clown, and a linned blenny. Cant have an anenome b.c of my lights lol.
My filter is a cannister so it cant fit in the tubes, and theres no way for it to jump into my refugium, b.c its pvc pipes leading into a hob refuge. Plus I'd see it in there since it wouldnt make it past the dense cheatto growing in there.

aceguitar1

That's really strange... Obviously you know a lot more about this than I do, got any personal ideas as to what happened? I know that if a fish dies, the other inhabitants can make quick work of a smaller one... Ya think that coulda been the case?

katsafados

Possibly with the clown gobie, but the green cromis was the only inhabnitant in my tank when it went missing, as bad as it is he was my tester fish lol(only 6.99).
Who knows! I thought maybe my serpant star ate my clown gobie, but they dont attack fish lol. So I have no idea lol, I'm sure bones or soemthing will pop up one day lol.

cranberry

A fish can't eat phyto.
If he got it in his mouth, it was small enough for him to eat. He probably doesn't like it. You can try other brands of like size and smaller... but I can't say he'll like those either. I feed mainly frozen/fresh.

xcali1985

When I first started I had 2 yellow tail damsels and one disappeared without a trace, didn't have anything to eat it. I later found out how bad they were and went to remove them and took all the rock out and still no sign of him. No idea what happened he wasnt on the floor and I have since replaced the tank and he wasn't behind it either.
I since have called him Ninja Smoke.

spanko

Go to frozen, just watch that you don't overfeed the tank.
Here are a couple of good options;
http://www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-29744-42134-fish-food.jpg

Both of these are good for both fish and coral.

R

russwlw2004

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3146594
Go to frozen, just watch that you don't overfeed the tank.
Here are a couple of good options;
http://www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-29744-42134-fish-food.jpg

Both of these are good for both fish and coral.

hate to hijack this thread, but i have two clowns right now and feed them flake, the dont eat the big pieces so i crush it up to make it smaller.
what is the benefits of going frozen over flake/pellet?
My clowns have taken to the flake nicely and i can basically feed it to them by holding onto a large flake.

superhero

Originally Posted by russwlw2004
http:///forum/post/3146778
hate to hijack this thread, but i have two clowns right now and feed them flake, the dont eat the big pieces so i crush it up to make it smaller.
what is the benefits of going frozen over flake/pellet?
My clowns have taken to the flake nicely and i can basically feed it to them by holding onto a large flake.
the main advantage is the variety in diet your fish will get by feeding flake and frozen i would recommend feeding some frozen brine (although they are not as nutritious as other foods), frozen mysis, and frozen plankton along with the flakes you are already feeding your fish...