feeding bta question?

awesker

Hello everyone,
I purchased my first bta 6 days ago. Things are going very well and I can observe healthy behaviors that have read about on this site. I was told to feed the anemone a finger nail size piece of shrimp once a week. Does that sound right? Thanks Jay

o2ngk

I am not sure about the shrimp, mine eats squid .. I tried silver side, shrimp, etc, but only squid works. But the small piece/size is a good start. So you can try shrimp and let see if your BTA is open to it.

awesker

ok, i tried the shrimp. The anemone seemed to grab it and move the food to it's mouth. Then my tomato clown wedges himself in and pulled out the piece of shrimp. Which surprised me because the clown took to the anemone within 36 hours of putting it in the tank and has seemed to be taking great care of it. Is there another technique to feeding the anemone besides just placing the food at the center of it? Thanks

dawman

My Clarkii tends to do the same thing . I feed my fish first and feed my Clarkii a lot and then feed my anemone .

awesker

Okay, so I fed the fish first and then fed my bta. It worked great, the clown didn't try to take any of the food. Thanks for the advice DAWMAN

How often do people feed their anemones?

o2ngk

Well, depending on how much do you feed at one time. They don't need that much food. Mine, I fed it once every 2 days with small piece of squid.

You can also use krill to feed your bta. I have had mine for a while and i feed it one krill every 2 days. It got its color back in 3 weeks from being bleached out.

M

marine bio 101

kingfish....Your GBTA looks awesome from where it started from.

perfectdark

Well they are filter feeders too so directly feeding them isnt entirly necessary however you really never know how hungry they are and if your tank is giving it the right amount of stuff. That is until you see it consuming one of your fish, then you will know right away. Its a good practice to keep him well fed they have and will prey upon your fish if they are hungry enough.

fishy7

Every 3 days they get a silverside.
They used to like krill but stopped eating for some reason.

Originally Posted by Marine Bio 101
kingfish....Your GBTA looks awesome from where it started from.

Hey thanks man!
Thats was under 14 month old bulbs. You should see it last night when i got new replacement bulbs! Also you should really see it under my new moon lights. It crazy looking becuase only the Tentacles glow under the moonlight. It makes the bta tentacles give off that green color under black light look.