Feeding Help Please

ricky1066

Ok I have no faith in my lfs so I ask here I have flaming angel,and clown I know they eat frozen brine shrimp been feeding them that.
I added 5 turbo snails
12 red legged hermit crabs
and 1 algae blenny
3 cardinals Lokk like silver stars
What do i feed them I know the crabs and blenny are supposed to eat alge abut am I supposed ot put something else in there just in case and what about the cardinals

florida joe

Hay Ricky welcome to the boards im an old Sheepshead bay guy you can supplement with some algae sheets, nori that you buy at the supper market works great

michaeltx

a varied diet is best
frozen mysis is better than brine
but there are several different varieties of frozen and flake foods that are available to even making your own from fresh seafoods and nori
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Ricky1066
http:///forum/post/2461480
Ok I have no faith in my lfs so I ask here I have flaming angel,and clown I know they eat frozen brine shrimp been feeding them that.
I added 5 turbo snails
12 red legged hermit crabs
and 1 algae blenny
3 cardinals Lokk like silver stars
What do i feed them I know the crabs and blenny are supposed to eat alge abut am I supposed ot put something else in there just in case and what about the cardinals
Feed frozen formula foods or make your own. Brine has no nutritional value to the fish. Mysis is a plus, but if they are eating frozen brine then they will eat other frozen foods. Don't buy the cubes with the gel binder. Buy frozen formula in flat packages. They come with the meats and veggies that your fish need.

socal57che

Just wanted to add that you should rinse the frozen food before you introduce it to your tank. Lots of protein in the liquid with your frozen foods. Rinse it with fresh water in a strainer and gently squeeze the water out. This is a good time to add the juice from a clove of garlic, too.

florida joe

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2462201
Just wanted to add that you should rinse the frozen food before you introduce it to your tank. Lots of protein in the liquid with your frozen foods. Rinse it with fresh water in a strainer and gently squeeze the water out. This is a good time to add the juice from a clove of garlic, too.

why would you not want the protein ?

ricky1066

I second that why would you not want the protein?
also what exactly do I ask for in the fish store they gave me the brine shrimp but what doI tel them I want now?

florida joe

Originally Posted by Ricky1066
http:///forum/post/2462547
I second that why would you not want the protein?
also what exactly do I ask for in the fish store they gave me the brine shrimp but what doI tel them I want now?
They have omnivore food also food for reef fish just vary your type of food

socal57che

Too much dissolved protein, which (unlike solid protein) will not be eaten by the fish, accumulates in the water column and acts as a constant food source for nuisance algaes.

sepulatian

It depends on the quality of the frozen foods. I buy pro salt mostly. It is flash frozen raw ocean meats and veggies. There are no additives at all. If the frozen has been preserved then it should be rinsed. It will add a lot of organics to the tank that the fish will not consume.