Feeding Shrimp ?

bacffin

I got my new cbs in yesterday and all seems to be fine except that he tossed his claws when I netted him. My question is, should I be feeding him and what kind of food have you had luck with? It's a newly cycled tank and there is plenty of algae to eat, (do they eat algae?) but should I be supplementing with anything? :notsure:
Thanks,
Bruce

madison

CBS is a natural predator of bristle worms...if the CBS still has it's claws.
CBS is also a scavanger, it will eat any left over food or dead fish.
If no claws I would try hand feeding it small pieces of silversides...the smaller then better...good luck!
Come to think of it...I don't think I have ever seen or read of a CBS surviving long enough for the both claws to regenerate...good luck!

gtiguy

I just got 2 cleaner shrimp and i dont know if the same as CBS but they like almost everything i feed the fish...(flakes, pellet, and brine/mysis) ....as long as they can get a morsal with the others goin for it..... :D

bacffin

Originally Posted by Madison
Come to think of it...I don't think I have ever seen or read of a CBS surviving long enough for the both claws to regenerate...good luck!
Kart Racer has had them tossed twice and they grew back both times for him.
Thanks

bacffin

Originally Posted by GtiGuy
I just got 2 cleaner shrimp and i dont know if the same as CBS but they like almost everything i feed the fish...(flakes, pellet, and brine/mysis) ....as long as they can get a morsal with the others goin for it..... :D
Cool, I dropped in a pellet yesterday and he ate that no problem before the crabs came in.

clarkiiboi

Just to keep it happy, spot feed it something meaty at least 2-3 times a week, other times it will pick up left over food and bristles (which you do want, IMO). They will or should regrow the lost claws with the next molt. Keep an eye on it though, with each molt it should get bigger and the bigger it gets is when they become aggressive.

mudplayerx

I feed my cbs about 2 times a week. I feed him the same thing that I feed my anemones. This includes clam, fish, squid, shrimp (hehe), etc. What I do is use a section of stiff airline tubing to hold the food.... securing it by pushing the food in one end and sucking on the other end until it is slightly up the tube. I then rub the food on one of the cbs' antennae until he grabs the food and pulls it out of the tube. voila!

bacffin

Good, that's what I'm looking for. A meaty diet 2 or 3 times a week sounds like a good diet. I don't want him getting hungry for my other shrimps. :D
Thanks.

mudplayerx

Make no mistake, when that CBS gets bigger, he will kill your other shrimp if he catches them. Mine is still small and I've already seen him get really close to catching some of my saron shrimp.

bacffin

Well I can't see that from what I am witnessing. My cbs and fire shrimp are sharing the same under hang/cave aea. :yes: Now when the cbs's boxing claws grow back, it might be a different story. I'll try and get a pic of it. Really neat stuff... :D

mudplayerx

I actually bought my cbs with the intention that it grow larger and eventually kill my saron shrimp lol. I can't catch the buggers and I want them out.

bacffin

I have given these guy's some cuts of bay scallops (non farm raised) that my wife gets and boy do they love it :yes: They were not very receptive the first time I put a piece on my tongs, but the second time they didn't even hesitate to come and get it. I think I am making the pieces to big though. It took my cbs about a half hour to eat it, but the fire shrimp inhaled it in about 10 minutes. It's fun to watch for sure. :D
Bruce