Feeding Tangs Lettuce

27mtaylor

I have seen a lot of info on the web about people feeding thier tangs lettuce. Just curious as to what everyone on here thought about it.

jaydee

Tried it, even boiled it for a second or two to make it more like seaweed. He didn't like it, but the Purpleback dug it. Use dark green lettuce, try broccoli too.

N

nereef

some will say that it is just as good. some will say that it isn't. it is true that there isn't any romaine in the ocean, but i don't know if there is much of a difference between romaine and nori. it would be interesting to see an actual nutritional breakdown of both instead of just people's opinions. has anyone actually researched this before?

N

nereef

the main point here is that tangs, when observed in the wild, eat constantly. they will pick at different types of algae almost non-stop all day long. this means that they have a varied diet consisting of different algae and whatever small fauna lives in the algae. therefore, varied diet is a must in captivity. many different dried, fresh, and prepared seaweeds are available, and they are fairly inexpensive at certain grocery stores. the occasional romaine lettuce probably will not hurt anything, but mainly the diet should consist of these varied seaweeds. and more liverock is almost always better.

bob a.

I feed seaweed selects, supposedly much better than romain. You can get it in the local pet store or buy it online. Comes in sheets that you can hang in the tank or just let float. Fish seem to love it.

oceanists

Originally Posted by Bob A.
I feed seaweed selects, supposedly much better than romain. You can get it in the local pet store or buy it online. Comes in sheets that you can hang in the tank or just let float. Fish seem to love it.

I also feed my yellow tang this .... he loves it , im gonna try the purple version of it , it is supposed to be softer than the green

jhebi

Well IMO I don't think it would make a huge difference if you fed your Tangs lettuce or not, just feed them seaweed and a lot of different kind of foods so they can get the right nutrients for them and they will be fine.....

unleashed

lettuce is nothing but water it has very little nutrients in it(even for humans)or other animalsthat do eat it, if any at all .dried seaweed is made to be used as a treat not a stable diet.any dried food loses nutrients during the drying proccess when it comes to garden greens the darker the coloring the more nurishment it holds.but tangs and other herbavores dont live on this alone they require a very large variety of types of marine vegitation and some meaty foods as well.i recommend frozen prepared foods as well as flaked foods to ensure proper nutrition.keep the dried foods as a treat.you couldnt live on lettuce dont expect your fish to

daj0424

I have a hippo and a yellow tang and here is my opinion. I agree that the seaweed is used as a treat. I feed that once a week to once everyother week.
Once a day I feed either a mix of frozen foods or some flake food. Once a day I aslo feed lettuce becuase this type of fish is a constent grazer in the wild and both my tangs like lettuce.
Just like any fish you purchase, some are going to like certian foods. Not all yellow tangs are going to like lettuce. The main thing is, if you have a tang in your tank you should provide it with a food that it can graze on all day and it likes.

angelsrock

Originally Posted by NEreef
some will say that it is just as good. some will say that it isn't. it is true that there isn't any romaine in the ocean, but i don't know if there is much of a difference between romaine and nori. it would be interesting to see an actual nutritional breakdown of both instead of just people's opinions. has anyone actually researched this before?
actually, romaine lettuce has no nutritional value except ruffage. nori on the other hand has all sorts of vitamins for the tangs to eat. also i don't know where the person's above get their information, but nori aka seaweed is not a treat but should be at least half of their diet. if you get nori from the lfs it lists all the nutrients that is eaten when you feed the nori which includes after it is dry as with all fish food. if the foods didn't include these nutrients on the package it would be false advertising. if you don't feed the proper foods to your tangs, you will notice that they lose their color and can contract hlle.

N

nereef

found kind of what i was looking for:
Nori, 1/8 cup (2 Tbsp)
Calories: 3.5
Protein: 0.58g
Carbohydrate: 0.51g
Total Fat: 0.028g
Fiber: 0.03g
Romaine, (10 grams)
Calories: 2
Protein: .1 g
Carbs: .1g
Fat: 0g
Fiber: .2g
keep in mind these are servings for people.
now we need to convert to a common measurement...anyone?

N

nereef

never mind. i got it.
Nori (1/2cup)
Cal:14
Protein:2g
Carbs: 2g
Fat: .1g
Fiber: .1g
Romaine (1/2cup)

Cal: 5
Protein: .3g
Carbs: .3g
Fat: .1g
Fiber: .6g

N

nereef

Originally Posted by angelsrock
actually, romaine lettuce has no nutritional value except ruffage. nori on the other hand has all sorts of vitamins for the tangs to eat.
i base my nutrional value on protein, carbs, and fat. not soley on vitamins used only in coenzymes.

unleashed

now seaweed selects
100 %marine macroalgae
crude protien(min) 33.9%
crude fat (min)4.2%
crude fiber (max)2.5%
moisture(max) 6.8 %
recommend with use with frozen food diets

unleashed

Originally Posted by NEreef
i base my nutrional value on protein, carbs, and fat. not soley on vitamins used only in coenzymes.
but your fish counts on the vit factors of the food with out proper vit these fish get ill and die such as lateral line desease weakend imune system making them prone to paresites. I dont know about you but I paid a pretty penny for my fish im not about to jepardize its health to save a couple bucks

unleashed

I buy red, green and brown .once in a while i break it up into small bits will mix it with a batch of frozen food mixture add garlic let it soak up the garlic (garlic extreme) and pour it in with the rest of the foods I have somewhat large tangs they eat like pigs I feed them 3 times a day and they eat every bit of it.tangs are gonna poop whether you feed them once a day or 3 times a day they are poop machines nothing is going to stop that from happening soo I feed them the best i can.