Feeding time!

reefnutpa

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3162339
Hey Tom nice babies. What ages are they.
T
Anywhere from 5 months to 1 1/2 years. This isn't a full tank shot, there are 19 in this particular tank. I keep a couple from each brood. The parents I keep at the store in a display tank outside my office. Got too many seahorse tanks and fish tanks running right now... so I'm not raising any more for the time being. Time for a break.
Tom

devaji108

hey tom are you a breader? ...of Sea horses that is...
thanks for the posting my feeding thread.
nice tank but why did you go BB?

reefnutpa

Originally Posted by Devaji108
http:///forum/post/3162713
hey tom are you a breader? ...of Sea horses that is...
thanks for the posting my feeding thread.
nice tank but why did you go BB?
Hi! I'm a very small scale hobbyist breeder. I have a display tank at work with 2 pair of 3 year old Erectus (the parents to all the ones I have at home, which also produce fry now) that has substrate, live rock, protein skimmer, etc.
The seahorse tanks I have at home are all bare-bottom with numerous huge Hydro Sponge filters in each tank for biological filtration. The reason they are BB is mainly for ease of cleaning. I keep those tanks meticulously clean. It would be too hard to do with a substrate and/or live rock in the tank. The tanks get siphoned at LEAST once a day to remove debris/poop.
Ciliates are a real concern when you have a high bio-load of fish (and seahorses are messy eaters and huuuge poopers lol) and less-than-spotlessly clean tanks. Many times you will read about fry scratching their heads with their tails. Ammonia build-up would be one cause..... ciliate/protozoan issues would be the other. That is why I stress to everyone their fry tanks MUST be kept spotless. Period. Most scratching is ciliate related.
So to answer your question simply: I know the importance of keeping a seahorse tank clean. With my busy work-schedule, the only way I can do it is to keep the tanks BB. It's simple to siphon the bottom of debris daily. Never have to worry about hair algae, cyano, diatoms, etc etc etc. Easiest tanks in the world to care for. Not the most eye-appealing....but these tanks aren't intended to be display tanks.
Tom

reefnutpa

Sure will! Today is my day off, so I'll snap a pic when I get to work tomorrow and post tomorrow night.
Tom

reefnutpa

Those are all Southern Erectus. Except for the last brood (the 5 month olds) all my Erectus are golden like that. The last brood, for whatever reason, 90% were dark brown/rust colored with only a couple being golden yellow. I don't have any black ones.
Tom