Finding Nemo?

milwaukeem

I am just going to go ahead and make the assumption that everyone that visits these threads have seen the movie Finding Nemo? Since it deals directly with all the fish we love so much! My question is this, after seeing the movie has anyone felt guilty about owning an aquarium? I ask because my fiance just saw the movie for the first time last week and she said it made her feel bad that we were keeping fish captive??? Any thoughts on hwo to justify our addictive hobby as being the right thing to do???? :thinking:

jsgreer1

well you didnt go get your fish out of the ocean so if you didnt have them someone else would. thats the only excuse i can think of try it maybe she'll feel better.

zanoshanox

First of all, AWESOME MOVIE! Secondly, I dont think its wrong to keep fish captive, becuase most of the fish in the hobbie are tank bred. I'm not sure if I would be fond of plucking fish directly out of the sea, but only because it lowers their survival rate...(getting them to beat, to shop, to aquarium...etc). Especially when they're used to the never fluctuating parameters of reef ocean water.

milwaukeem

I understand what your saying but at one point and time the hobby started from people taking the fish out of the ocean, etc..... So even though we may not particularly take them out of the ocean ourselves it is undoubtly where they come from... And I would have a hard time believing that every fish, invert, coral, etc available for sale is bread in captivity....

oxbeard

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
I understand what your saying but at one point and time the hobby started from people taking the fish out of the ocean, etc..... So even though we may not particularly take them out of the ocean ourselves it is undoubtly where they come from... And I would have a hard time believing that every fish, invert, coral, etc available for sale is bread in captivity....
I have to agree. It is my understanding that actually few of the available species are captive bred. I know efferts are made to increase the amount constantly, but still the greatest proportion of available fish types are wild caught.

grmreapr

ok I think about it like this do you own any dogs or cats or birds or any other animal its the same thing at one time dogs,cats,birds where once wild to and then captive bred them same thing its more of since we take care of them they have a constant supply of food no worry of predators and most likely better water quality than they would in a natural habitat so its all how you really think about it. :happyfish

milwaukeem

No I don't own any other pets.... For the most part thought cats & dogs are no longer wild animals.... Fish are though.... That is a pretty big statement to compare your water quality to the ocean, I would have to strongly disagree.... I guess the way I look at it is that no matter how big of a tank you have it will never compare to the freedom they have in the ocean.....

grmreapr

Originally Posted by MilwaukeeM
No I don't own any other pets.... For the most part thought cats & dogs are no longer wild animals.... Fish are though.... That is a pretty big statement to compare your water quality to the ocean, I would have to strongly disagree.... I guess the way I look at it is that no matter how big of a tank you have it will never compare to the freedom they have in the ocean.....

we cage birds and clip there wings now that is taking away there freedom and there are still wild dogs australian dingos for one closest relation to the wolf from which dogs come from and there are tank bred fish not tryin to cause a argument just voicing my opinion thats how i think anyway. and with the ocean thing i think we strive as hobbyists to re create the best conditions for them and they dont have all those pollutants that we dump into the ocean but eh what do I know.

team2jndd

My sentiment on this topic is that no animal should be held captive or caged. However, the dogs and cats we have come to know and love are not wild beasts they are actually a new species of their genus. For example, there was never a poodle in the amazon living on its own. We have bred dogs and cats for the sole purpose of domestication and totally altered their traits to be both esthetically pleasing as well as useful. For fish and birds it is not the same. Although many domestic animals would die if freed due to their lack of ability to fair in a world in which they aren’t cared for, they were, in the beginning wild animals. If not caged an unclipped bird will fly. If placed in an ocean a fish will swim. The only justification we have of keeping these animals is that if we don’t somebody will. I'm not going to pretend that I don’t feel the same. Many of the fish I have I acquired, I have done so through the sentiment that they were simply better off in my tank. After working in a LFS i REALLY felt they were better in my tanks. Although some people can do a good job caring for these animals it is absolutely impossible to recreate an environment that has been produced through millions of years of natural process.

kzoo

You should call PETA
Do you eat meat? chicken? How about fish? We kill may more fish populations due to over fishing. As long as you are taking the best care you can of your pets they will have a happy life.

unleashed

yes i seen the movie and yes i loved it also.and yep I have my dori. do I ever feel bad for the fish I keep of course i do I have more than enough tanks because I feel bad for them.the people that catch these fish were catching them long before I started in this hobby .alot of my fish were trade ins by other hobbiest at my LFS( i try very hard to get these ones before buying fresh wild caught) not only do they cost less but majority of owners trade them in due to lack of tank capacity and require more room which I happen to have.I also get healther fish this way.but if in fact all of us on this forum decided not to purchase any more wild caught fish or corals.there are still thousands of people willing to pay for them.the cycle wont stop we just wont be in the center of it.as for PETA they dont care about fish.they are not animals to them mindless creatures.only those of us who have watched our fish on a daily basis know thats a mistaken stereotype. I say do everything in your power to ensure your fish get everything they need .and you will have no need to feel guilty for having them in your home.at least in your home you know how well they are being cared for

forcrz6

I would just say I agree that it is wrong to keep the fish in the tank but w/ as dirty as our oceans are now and w/ the Pullutants in the water now I look at my self as a savour of these fish and that they are so much better of here than out there. But that is just a Point of view.

team2jndd

Lol if you notice, these fish dont come from the long island sound. The waters that these fish originate in are very clean.

saltwater8

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
I dont think its wrong to keep fish captive, becuase most of the fish in the hobbie are tank bred.
Huh?

scsinet

Guys, I know my post is long, but my opinions on this are pretty strong so I kind of went crazy. Also, keep in mind that I am speaking of a small population of people here, and I have a great deal of respect for those who this diatribe does not apply to.
The ethics of fishkeeping are, IMO, a subject that everyone eventually considers, and the conclusion that everyone comes to is their own. Unfortunately, many people only consider the ethics when it's too late.
First of all, the notion that "if I don't buy it, it'll be collected anyway, and someone else will" is complete BS. That's just saying that the end justifies the means. Turn the statement around. "If nobody buys it, then it won't be collected." Many of the fish available in the trade are aquacultured, such as clowns, but most of the bigger fish (Tangs, Triggers, Angels, Butterflies) are all wild caught, and those are the bread-and-butter of the industry.
I personally do not feel guilty about keeping fish, or an aquarium. I have five aquariums, representing saltwater fish only, reefs, and freshwater. At the same time, I do tend to frown upon some of the things that people do in this hobby.
Most of us would take huge issue with buying a dog and keeping it in a dog crate all the time, or buying 10 dogs and keeping them in one small room, but there are quite a few people out there who do not have any problem buying a fish tank and ridiculously overstocking it with fish to satisfy their own selfish desires to own all the fish they think are "cool," yet they are unwilling to foot the bill for the tank and equipment to do so.
The destruction of the environment is another thing to consider. Coral reefs are declining rapidly, but many of us routinely buy corals while having environments only marginally capable of supporting them, if at all. This to me is an asenine thing to do.
This is where I take issue with the hobby. Before any of you jump on me, rest assured, I am no animal rights activist. I do, however, believe that when you take an animal, be it a fish or a brainless invert out of it's natural environment and throw it in a glass box, you take on the responsibility of caring for that animal for it's lifetime and to provide the best care you can possibly provide for it. That means buying the necessary equipment such as tank size, filters, and LIGHTING to allow it to not just survive, but to thrive. That also means investing twice the cost of a new fish in medications to attempt to cure a sick one, if necessary. To me, this is a contract of adhesion. If you don't like those terms, then don't buy a fish.
Many of us are completely cavalier about putting these animals lives in danger, and that's just wrong. To me, there is nothing wrong with removing a fish from the wild and putting it into an environment where it can live a full, healthy, quality life, but needlessly endangering the animal because you cannot afford the right environment for it, but are concurrently selfish enough to not let that deter you is unethical and despicable. Even though these are brainless invertabrates or fish that are nearly brainless, they are still living things and we, as other living things, need to have a certain level of respect for that.
I saw a thread the other day about a person who wanted to have a Finding Nemo tank. When people told him that the number of fish per gallon as well as the husbandry (for you newbies, this means the interaction of species within a tank) was all wrong, he didn't want to take that answer. That is the kind of stuff that makes me mad. I have NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER with people that ask questions, and I admire the fact that he was asking. If you ask the question though, you need to be prepared for the answer. I don't want to slam this guy, nor does he need to reply with a defense as I am not asking him to defend himself, since I think in the end, he came around, but these kind of threads abound on this and other forums. Again, it's not the question, it's when the question is asked, an answer is given that is not what they wanted to hear, and they decide to gamble with an animal's life rather than invest in whatever they need to do it right.
I guess what I am saying in the end is that there is a right way and a wrong way to participate in this hobby. You don't need to be an environmentalist, but you shouldn't run a slaughterhouse either. You need to strike a balance in between based on a respect for the animals you keep, put those animals needs BEFORE your desire to have them and provide a proper environment for them. If you do that, this hobby I believe is beneficial in general because it brings us a profound understanding of the aquatic world, allows us to learn and teach others, and that awareness helps to preseve these ecosystems that we take from to sustain it.