FINISHED MY SUmp/FUGE but is it done?

mikegray

hey guys. squid helped me put together plans for this sump and fuge and i was gonna build it with full acrylic. never done it before but i tried.. i used IPS Weldon #3 from tap plastics. and it worked actually great. but do i need anything for the inside like silicone? and i know silicone doesnt work for plastic so is there anything to be used in the inside seams like silicone? or is the 3 i used enough.. i water tested it this morning and there is no leaks..... but im wondering if people do something for inside seam.. let me kno.. here is a picture.

hun25

Sorry I cant answer your question, Just wanted to say what a great job you did on that! Looks like a professional made it!!! I am looking for someone to build me one, let me know if your interested in the job.

mikegray

yea it took me about 5 hours from peeling off the paper off the plastic to finishing it.. doing it very carefully. heh. and it doesnt leak.. just need to kno if i should put some kinda stuff in the inside seams like silicone....

mpls man

When i glued mine together i used a glue you can get from any home depot called Marine Goop, worked very well and drys fast. drys fast when you use a hair dryer .

jer4916

the weld is enough, but WOW that looks GREAT! ...looks very similar to my ecosystem..and those are around $800
keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jobob

well i built mine from a 10gal glass and plastic. i used fish tank silicone and it worked great. but that was glass and plastic. but if its not leaking i wouldnt silicone it. very nice jpb.

cmack

OK, Next Question, Where is a good place to buy the acrylic from? I looked at Home Depot, but they didn't seem to have a good selection. Any online retailers?

vejomatic

Hi Mike, great looking sump...well done!
Can you tell me the exact material you got from the above retailer? They have some different types, just wanted to get what you got.
thanks

mikegray

no problem bro.
im still setting this 125 up so these comments really get me excited. i had this tank since feburary and been planning since and finally am getting it going. thanks
It turned out awesome.. didnt leak at ALL! i was soo happy hehe.
I went and used all 1/4" Clear Acrylic and the IPS Weldon acrylic #3. thats all u need.

vejomatic

if you dont mind me asking...what did the acrylic set you back?
Im trying to go as cheap as possible on my sump/fuge and was thinking of using a 20G long and just use a couple of precut glass pieces to make the dividers.
The acrylic I see is at least 40$ a sheet (2'X4'). I can get a 20Long for not much more than 15-20$.
Thoughts?

mikegray

hmm the glue and all.... i paid like 250...... but my sump/fuge is huge... and its all a 1/4 even the dividers. i think when i did the math for gallons it was close to 80gallons

kaotik

Nice work!!! Are you sure that was your first time building one??
Looks very pro!!! Id say if its not leaking dont worry about the silicone.