Fire red dead

naclh2o nut

I just added a fire red shrimp, 5 year old picked it out. I have no research on this and LFS said it was reef safe. I already have a pep. and cleaner, so why not.
well it is on it side today. No movement and it is not a molted shell. The whole shrimp is there. What would/ could cause death overnight in a FRS.

Son is very upset and I cant get to it. It died in a cave,tunnel that I can not get my hand or tongs into. So my son is not happy.

jackri

With the other shrimp being healthy maybe acclimation shock??
Of course you're going to get... what are your water parameters?

uneverno

My money's on acclimation shock too (provided water tests out ok, of course.) Shrimp are particularly touchy like that.

naclh2o nut

Well I know better,

Ammo- 0
trites - 0
trates- 5
phos- <1
Ph - 8.2/8.4
Cal- 420
Alk- 13dK
temp- 78
Mod water flow,M/H, sump - thriving corals(zoa are exploding, waving hands are doubling every two/three days. xenia splitting into fours as I type.
2 clowns, kole tang, yellow tang, filefish, emerald, 2 shrimp, 1+-12 crabs.
Acclimation is what my thought was, but I have done all fish and invertes the same way.
Are these shrimp delicate or require anything special?

jackri

How did you acclimate it?
Personally I don't drip acclimate, I float the bag and add water every 15-30 minutes for an hour or two and has always worked but I know drip acclimating is better (and yet I still don't do it)

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by jackri
http:///forum/post/2995645
How did you acclimate it?
Personally I don't drip acclimate, I float the bag and add water every 15-30 minutes for an hour or two and has always worked but I know drip acclimating is better (and yet I still don't do it)
bingo, the same way. I have watched the LFS float and release with out adding and their survival rate is great.
This time I may have only floated for about an hour. But the M/H seems to heat the top layer of water up. I keep the bags in a corner away from the direct light. It was bagged at LFS, drove 15 min. home and started floating. I am going back to LFS and check their PH. That is my best guess. He may have it on the low side.

Still wonder if there is something else, I added water so PH should have been close. And all other inverts have survived.

Thanks for the responses.

salt life

Originally Posted by NaClH2O Nut
http:///forum/post/2995722
Yea, me too, NOW!

This sucks, first loss.

are you sure the shrimp didn't just molt and is hiding in the cave? don't they need to hide after they do that do rebuild there body tissue because the light could hurt them afterwards? maybe you just are seeing the molt?

naclh2o nut

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2995779
are you sure the shrimp didn't just molt and is hiding in the cave? don't they need to hide after they do that do rebuild there body tissue because the light could hurt them afterwards? maybe you just are seeing the molt?

I have seen molt from other shrimp, not the fire red. but it does not look good. it really looks like the whole thing laying on its side.

I am still hoping that I am wrong but
I am not betting on it.