Firefish Goby

I was thinking about adding two firefish.
Does anyone know how far these fish jump?
I have a canapy that is 2 foot high from the top of the tank, and all four sides are closed but the top is not and my light is up there can they jump that far?
Thanks for the help.

flower

Those fish sail in the sky like a bird...you have to cover the canopy with mesh somehow. They even get past egg crate.

So Even if I cover the top, my light will still be in the canapy and he could land on the top of it. if I put mesh under the light that would dem my light.
Maybe I should stay away from jumpers, I would hate to come home to a pure fish stuck on my light.
Thank you for the info.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmstillwell01 http:///forum/thread/380802/firefish-goby#post_3314845
So Even if I cover the top, my light will still be in the canapy and he could land on the top of it. if I put mesh under the light that would dem my light.
Maybe I should stay away from jumpers, I would hate to come home to a pure fish stuck on my light.
Thank you for the info.

Others keep them...look and see how they do it. I think Slanko has some kind of mesh built to try and keep them from jumping or a design I saw a picture once..Try and PM him and see what he tells you.

monsinour

I have a glass cover over the tank and then my canopy sits on top of that. I dont think the fish can jump through glass but the light sure does pass through it.

nizz

I have one in my nano tank. But, it has a lid on it also. Just incase if he does decide to jump.

Ok, what I did was I bought some screen (plastic kind) and some velcro and I stuck the velcro around the top and back edges of the canopy and the screen and it worked pretty good because the screen goes around the power cords really snug and if I need to move anything or tank it out it pulls right off and back on. (my husband's idea)

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/380802/firefish-goby#post_3317931
I have a glass cover over the tank and then my canopy sits on top of that. I dont think the fish can jump through glass but the light sure does pass through it.
If you had a meter reading PAR value of your lights, it would be significantly more without the glass top, this is why many people go with open, or mess top. I had a lot of trouble keeping SPS with my glass top, removed it, and they're growing like weeds.

monsinour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/380802/firefish-goby#post_3318415
If you had a meter reading PAR value of your lights, it would be significantly more without the glass top, this is why many people go with open, or mess top. I had a lot of trouble keeping SPS with my glass top, removed it, and they're growing like weeds.
But I am also planning on getting those Guiesman 18K lights soon. I really cant pass up the improvement. All I have to do is hear that the bubble coral and birds nest coral that my wife has picked out wont work under our current lights and she will ok the new bulbs.