First coral question

cyn

Ok guys, I took the plunge now that my water has tested perfect for 3 weeks. I bought my first coral, a candy coral. It opened the day after I put it in the tank. Every night, it sends out its tennicles and looks awesome! I fed it brine shrimp last night and noticed that it produced tons of slime. Is this slime harmful to other potential inhabitants? I am waiting on some bengaii (sp?) cardinals to come in. Other livestock includes: 1 midas blenny, 1 lawnmower, 1 green brittle star, assorted hitchhiker shrooms and a retarded sally lightfoot. Lighting: PC's- 110w daylight and 110w actinic blue. 9hrs daylight 11hrs. total on the blue(1hr before and after daylight). Yesterdays H20 readings: SG 1.022, pH 8.2, Ammonia, nitrites, phos. and nitates 0, kH 7, calcium 450. Temp is stable at 78. Any reccomendations for the next coral?
Thanks,
cyn

predator

Well congradulations on the new coral.And no the slim isn't going to hurt anything.Eventually it will be released(if it has'nt already) and you can ignore it or remove it.
As far as a new coral really depends on what your interested in.A lobo brain, a frogspawn or maybe a fox coral.There are so many out there and everybody has differant opinions.Good luck and again congrats.

cyn

To clear that up a little, the coral seems to produce the slime when it eats. I fed it again tonight, used a hard tube and squirted brine shrimp to each polyp and agian, gobs of slime. Just wondering if this is normal. As far as other corals, there is so much to choose from! I am a well read beginner, and want something that I will succeed with.
Thanks,
cyn

Hate to be gross but the reason he produces the slime every time you feed him is because he is releasing waste just like we do after we have eaten. It's not going to hurt any thing so don't worry about it. If it bothers you, you can pull it off but its not going to hurt your tank in any way.