fish keep dying

zoidberg01

I have a 75 gallon reef and like a month ago my dad accidentally killed my fish, because I had a brown algae problem and he thought that if he scrubed it with a brush underwater it will go away, but it covered my fishes gills and all my 7 fish died. Now every time I try to put a fish and it dies in a matter of days. Right now I have a peppermint shrimp, serpent stars, urchins and corals. I'm going to check the parameters to see if it is that. P.s. my salinity is like on level beneath the normal suggestion

tthemadd1

Post water parameters. The scrubbing probably caused a cycle with the decaying matter. Mammon is nitrite nitrate. Also phosphates could have spiked considerably. All that algae "holds" nitrates and phosphates.
Water changes would also help. Make sure when you drain out water you have stirred up the sludge first to help remove it. Once you determine parameters it will help root cause.

zoidberg01

I'll come back at the weekend to say the parameters and say hows its going, but its kinda strange that only the inverts are the only ones that don't die in my tank

tthemadd1

It could be the fish are more sensitive to the waste in the water. Many of the inverts we put into tanks are more used to dirtier water. They eat and live in the water column where waste accumulates. I would definitely say water changes after testing